Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Academics urge evidence-based approach to tackle child sex abuse

By Rithika Siddhartha

BRITISH-ASIAN MEN of Pakistani origin are not disproportionately represented among those found guilty of child sexual offences, two academics have said.


Arguing that the “overwhelming focus on Asian men abusing white girls” risks ignoring other victims and overlooking other offenders, the experts said that child sexual abuse offenders are “remarkably heterogenous” as they urged an evidence-based approach to tackling the crime.

Ella Cockbain, who has researched child sexual exploitation (CSE), is an associate professor at University College London in the security and crime science department.

Waqas Tufail, a senior lecturer in criminology at Leeds Beckett University, focuses on policing, racialisation and criminalisation of marginalised and minority communities.

They noted that Asians were notably “not over-represented” among the approximately 172,000 men and 27,000 women who had been convicted of sexual offences in England and Wales in 2016.

Earlier this month, the duo published a paper titled Failing Victims, Fuelling Hate: Challenging the harms of the ‘Muslim grooming gangs’ narrative. Cockbain and Tufail said the term “grooming gangs” was a “spurious media construct”, adding that “grooming” gang offences do not exist in law.

Instead, they suggested using child sexual abuse definitions as recommended by the National Crime Agency.

Their findings came as the Home Office said it has “prioritised child sexual abuse as a national threat”. It is set to publish a national strategy, the first of its kind, to tackle all forms of child sexual abuse.

A report commissioned by Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham found last week there was “clear evidence that young people were being sexually exploited, and that this was generally perpetrated by a group of older Asian men”.

However, a review found that Operation Augusta – launched by the Greater Manchester Police – was shut down following a lack of resources, when it should have exhausted all lines of enquiry, especially where there was evidence that could have led to a prosecution.

Cockbain and Tufail said that racial connotations around the term “groomer” and the prevailing “narrow lens on grooming gangs” detracts from the scale of abuse of vulnerable children who had been let down by those agencies meant to protect them, and seeks justice for such groups.

Both experts have also called for a rejection of “culturalist, essentialist explanations of why Muslim men sexually abuse children”, noting that “a relatively small number of high-profile grooming gangs cases have been used to claim an ‘epidemic’ of abuse”.

Offences by ethnic minorities also tend to be over-reported, they said, noting that the Sunday Times was found in breach of reporting codes for its misleading headline ‘Asians make up 80 per cent of child groomers’.

Tufail told Eastern Eye: “The racial narrative on CSE has been challenged by survivors of CSE, activists and some practitioners, but much more can be done.

“In particular, politicians and prominent media commentators need to take much more responsibility when discussing race and CSE. I hope there is serious engagement with the evidence presented in our article.”

In July 2018, then home secretary Sajid Javid ordered a review of the “characteristics” looking at cultural factors that may have led to gangs of mainly Pakistani-heritage men sexually abusing young children. Javid said in December 2018: “When it comes to gang-based child exploitation, it is self-evident to anyone who cares to look that if you look at all the recent high-profile cases there is a high proportion of men that are of Pakistani heritage,” he had said.

Cockbain and Tufail noted that “Javid’s interest in racialising sexual offending has not extended to organised abuse in schools, religious institutions, sports clubs, politics, celebrity circles and other contexts likely dominated by white offenders”.

A Home Office spokesperson told Eastern Eye on Monday (20): “Child sexual abuse is a sickening crime and predators who abuse children will face the full force of the law. We’re pursuing work on a number of fronts to understand the characteristics of group-based offending and the contexts in which it occurs.

“This includes ongoing work commissioned by the previous home secretary and will inform future government policies on child sexual abuse.

“New sentencing laws will also ensure the most serious violent and sexual offenders spend time in prison that matches the severity of their crimes, protecting victims and giving the public confidence in the criminal justice system.”

In their paper, Cockbain and Tufail noted that women of colour, immigrants and those from the LGBTQ community are “often further brutalised – rather than protected – by the police”.

Lack of funding has also hit grassroots organisations who do “largely unacknowledged” work in tackling violence against women and girls, they noted.

Funding for rape crisis services across England and Wales was £7.2 million in 2018-2019, they added, pointing out that specialist CSE services for BAME victims are “particularly underfunded”.

Child sexual abuse is an problem across British society, they concluded, and is not the “preserve of particular communities”.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less