Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Acid attack survivor says UK should study third-world prevention plans

by LAUREN CODLING

THE survivor of an acid attack has welcomed British retailers’ refusal to sell corrosive substances to under 18s, but said the government should be taking note of the responses of third-world countries to acid crime.


Jabed Hussain was sprayed with a corrosive substance by two attackers in east London

while waiting at a traffic light.

The former UberEats delivery driver was the first of five other victims within a threemile

radius who were also targeted last July.

“Bangladesh had one of the worst acid crime rates in the world, but they have handled

it,” Hussain told Eastern Eye on Tuesday (9). “At the moment, [rates of] acid attacks

are worse in the UK than in Bangladesh – more than 450 in 2017, which is more

than a third-world country.

“We need to see how they tackled it and try to learn from them.”

The government has launched the voluntary plan, announced last weekend, which stated that major UK retailers would not sell products containing harmful levels of acid to people under the age of 18.

Tesco and Wickes are among those who have signed up to the proposal.

Acid crime spiked last year in the UK. From January to the end of October 2017, there were over 400 acid-related attacks registered by the Metropolitan Police.

Since 2010, there have been around 1,800 incidents involving corrosive substances in

London alone.

Last December, Tower Hamlets council launched an initiative to tackle acid attacks which involved getting local shopkeepers to sign up to a protocol about when and who they will sell acids to.

The agreement encouraged business owner not to sell the substance to young people

and additionally, be thoughtful about the behaviour of people who came into shops

seeking to buy acid.

Reacting to the new proposal, Tower Hamlets mayor John Biggs said although he welcomed the announcement that supermarkets and some larger DIY stores would restrict the sales, more needed to be done.

“We are working with our local retailers to ensure they are selling acids responsibly,” Biggs said. “However, the government needs to take much tougher action to tackle this problem.”

Labour MP Rushanara Ali, who represents Bethnal Green and Bow, shared Biggs’ view that more action was needed.

“As well as prohibiting the sale of corrosive substances to under-18s, the government must continue its clampdown on the sale of corrosive substances by working with smaller retailers,” she told Eastern Eye.

“The government should look at working with small shops in a similar way to how the

Labour council in Tower Hamlets has.” She added that more support should be available for victims of acid attacks as the impact can be “life changing”.

Physically, Hussain has no visible scarring from the acid attack as his helmet protected

most of his face. However, he has chest problems which he believes could be due to him swallowing water which may have contained traces of acid.

The 33-year-old, who is currently not working, said he is not the same person he used to be due to the psychological effects of the attack. He finds it hard to trust people and is fearful about going outside alone.

He said: “It has divided me from society. For instance, if I’m at home and someone rings the bell, I wouldn’t open the door as it might be someone who wants to throw acid on me or attack me. I used to have a lot of friends but now I don’t trust anyone.”

One of the accused linked to the July attack is 17-year old Derryck John. He pleaded

guilty on Monday (8) to six counts of throwing a corrosive liquid with intent to ‘disable, burn, maim, disfigure or cause grievous bodily harm’, two counts of robbery and four counts of attempted robbery.

Hussain said he “[felt] sorry” for the perpetrator after seeing his picture.

“He needs to get the punishment for what he did but why was he involved in crime at this young age?” Hussain said. “Why is the government not looking after them? I saw

his picture and I feel sorry for him.”

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less