Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

African telecommunication firm Helios to float shares in London

AFRICAN mobile network operator Helios Towers plans to raise £100 million by issuing new shares in London.

With the latest announcement, Helios has revived its plan to list in the British capital, a year after having pulled out its floats.


According to an announcement made on Thursday (12), at least 25 per cent of the business will be floated on the London Stock Exchange (LSE), while the initial public offering (IPO) will be coordinated by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Jefferies and Standard Bank.

The company added that the existing shareholders would also be selling shares.

Helios aims to use the cash to expand its market by building and acquiring new sites.

Helios Towers Chief Executive Officer Kash Pandya told the Telegraph that the sub-Saharan telecoms market was one of the most "high growth [market] in the world", citing growing demand for voice and data services among an "increasingly urbanised population".

The new parent company, which will be listed on LSE, will be chaired by Sir Samuel Jonah.

Jonah is also the chairman of South African investment holding company Jonah Capital.

The company dropped its previous plans for a listing in March 2018, amid concern about political risk in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Tanzania, according to media reports.

The company’s first-half revenue increased seven per cent year-on-year to approximately £153 million ($191m), for the six months to June.

Helios operates some 7,000 telecommunications towers in countries such as South Africa, the DRC, and Ghana.

It owns and operates more sites than any other operator each in Tanzania, the DRC, and Congo Brazzaville.

The firm is also a leading operator in Ghana with a strong urban presence and has recently announced entry into South Africa.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less