Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

After Covid-free haj, Saudi opens up for overseas Umrah pilgrims

After Covid-free haj, Saudi opens up for overseas Umrah pilgrims

SAUDI Arabia will reopen the Grand Mosque for overseas Umrah pilgrims after August 10 as the kingdom declared that the just-concluded haj season was ‘successful’ amid restrictions.

No worshipper tested positive for the virus during the pilgrimage, according to the country’s health authorities.


Some 60,000 Saudi residents were allowed to visit Mecca and Madina for the haj this year, a much smaller number compared to millions of devotees from home and abroad who throng the holiest sites for Muslims during a normal season.

The haj season that concluded last Thursday (22) saw a repetition of restrictions imposed last year as the kingdom took precautions to check the spread of the coronavirus.

While the country allowed the haj tradition, which has a thousand-year history, to continue despite the pandemic, the authorities did not allow overseas travellers for the second year in a row.

Adult pilgrims aged up to 65 years and vaccinated twice were allowed to the holy sites amid strict social distancing rules. Worshippers circumambulated the Kaaba, the black and gold-adorned stone in the courtyard of Mecca’s Grand Mosque, in spaced circles.

Arrangements were made for automated spraying of sanitisers around the mosque.

Saudi health minister Tawfiq al-Rabiah said no coronavirus infection was detected among worshippers, The Times reported.

According to the health authorities, the pilgrims do not have to undergo isolation when they return home unless they experience Covid-19 symptoms.

The haj season was marked by reforms. While Saudi women were allowed to attend without an official “male guardian” for the first time, there were also women security officials managing the crowds. It also saw soldier Abeer al-Rashed becoming the first woman to host a haj security briefing last week.

More than 500,000 have been infected by the virus in the kingdom since the outbreak of the pandemic last year, but its figure of 231 fatalities per million has been one of the smallest among the major economies in the world.

Media reports said on Monday (26) that sterilisation was taken at the Grand Mosque as Umrah pilgrimage has already begun for domestic devotees including expatriates, weeks before foreign travellers are allowed.

More For You

UK Introduces Digital Entry Permit for European Visitors

The ETA can be purchased online for £10 (12 euros), but the cost will rise to £16 from 9 April. (Representational image: Reuters)

Reuters

European visitors to UK will now need digital entry permit

FROM WEDNESDAY, European visitors to the UK will need an online entry permit as part of new travel requirements introduced by the British government.

The Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA), a digital permit, will be required for travellers from Europe. UK officials say the move aims to enhance border security and simplify entry procedures.

Keep ReadingShow less
China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

Xi Jinping

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

THE Chinese president, Xi Jinping, last Friday (28) pledged deeper cooperation with his Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad Yunus in a meeting that came as Dhaka seeks new friends to offset frosty ties with India.

Yunus took charge of Bangladesh last August after the toppling of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to New Delhi after a student-led uprising.

Keep ReadingShow less
Milton-Keynes

Eyewitnesses described hearing shouting before the shooting

iStock

Man shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes railway station

A MAN was shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes Central station after reports that he was carrying a firearm.

Thames Valley Police (TVP) said officers were called to the station at 12:55, where they challenged a suspect carrying a knife. The man moved towards officers before police fired at him.

Keep ReadingShow less
EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

SCRUTINY: The tribunal’s favourable verdict is an important win for accountability, say current and retired Asian judges (Pic credit: Getty Images/Leon Neal)

EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

A tribunal has ordered the body which appoints judges in England and Wales to disclose records it refused to give to Eastern Eye.

The decision is a major victory for press freedoms because it forces the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) to become more open and transparent.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sunita-Williams-Reuters

Sunita Williams was part of the SpaceX Crew-9 mission and had been stranded in space for over nine months. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters)

India looks amazing from space, says Sunita Williams

NASA astronaut Sunita Williams described India as "amazing" from space and expressed her intention to visit her "father's home country" to share her experiences on space exploration.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, she responded to a question about how India appeared from space and the possibility of collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

Keep ReadingShow less