Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

'Air India-Vistara merger awaits regulatory approvals'

In September 2023, the deal received approval from the Competition Commission of India

'Air India-Vistara merger awaits regulatory approvals'

SINGAPORE AIRLINES group has said that the proposed Air India and Vistara merger, which is awaiting foreign direct investment and other approvals, will strengthen its multi-hub strategy.

It added that the merger will allow it to continue directly participating in the fast-growing Indian aviation market.


The group posted a 24 per cent rise in net profit at £1,570 million for FY 2023-24, helped by robust air travel demand.

In a release, the group said it has reported the highest full-year operating and net profits in its history as robust demand for air travel drives record passenger revenue and load factors.

About Air India-Vistara merger, the group said foreign direct investment and other regulatory approvals are still pending.

Vistara is a joint venture between Singapore Airlines and Tatas, which also owns Air India.

"Once completed, it will give SIA a 25.1 per cent stake in an enlarged Air India group with a significant presence in all key Indian airline market segments, including domestic, international, full-service, and low-cost," a statement said.

"This will strengthen SIA's multi-hub strategy, and allow the group to continue participating directly in this large and fast-growing aviation market."

The merger, announced in November 2022, was approved by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore in March. In September 2023, the deal received approval from the Competition Commission of India, subject to certain conditions.

On the outlook, the group said the demand for air travel remains healthy in the first quarter of FY2024/25, supported by a strong pick up in forward bookings to north Asia and south east Asia.

Passenger yields will likely continue to moderate due to increased capacity injection by airlines, especially in the Asia-Pacific region, it noted.

However, it also mentioned that the airline industry continues to face challenges including rising geopolitical tensions, an uncertain macroeconomic climate, supply chain constraints, and high inflation in many parts of the world.

(PTI)

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less