Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Akshata Murty decides to wound down Catamaran Ventures

The venture capital fund has not cited any reason for the liquidation move

Akshata Murty decides to wound down Catamaran Ventures

PRIME minister Rishi Sunak’s wife Akshata Murty has decided to wind down her startup investment fund Catamaran Ventures UK.

“Directors have decided to liquidate the company,” Catamaran said in a filing to the Companies House on Wednesday (27), without giving any details.

The move comes after it emerged that the education technology business Study Hall in which Catamaran had a stake was given a government grant of £349,976 last year.

Mrs Wordsmith, another education firm backed by Catamaran, secured funding from the pandemic investment scheme Future Fund designed by Sunak. But Mrs Wordsmith collapsed months after it received the funding, owing £249,000 to HMRC.

Furniture company New Craftsmen, also backed by Catamaran, benefited from the fund but the firm collapsed in November last year.

However, there is no suggestion that Sunak had any involvement in picking beneficiaries of any government scheme.

But he was criticised in March for failing to declare his wife’s shares in a childcare agency called Koru Kids that was poised to benefit from a pilot scheme proposed in the budget to incentivise people to become childminders. Parliament’s commissioner for standards, however, said the breach was inadvertent.

Murthy, who holds a 0.91 per cent stake in her father’s Indian software company Infosys, founded Catamaran in 2013.

According to its latest filing, Catamaran’s investment value as of December 2022 was £3.8 million, compared to £3.5m a year ago. But its cash declined from close to £400,000 to £21,890 during the period.

The prime minister’s office has not commented on Catamaran’s liquidation plan.

Murty held “non-dom” tax status, which she gave up following criticism.

More For You

nintendo switch 2

The new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations

Getty

Nintendo unveils Switch 2 - A new era for hybrid gaming begins

After months of speculation and cryptic teaser campaigns, Nintendo has officially announced the highly anticipated successor to its bestselling hybrid console. The Nintendo Switch 2 is set to launch on 5 June, with a price tag of £395.99 for the base package and £429.99 for a bundle including Mario Kart World. With a range of hardware improvements, redesigned controllers, and an exciting lineup of games, the new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations.

A Bigger, Sharper Display and 4K Support

One of the most noticeable upgrades in the Nintendo Switch 2 is its display. The console now features a larger 7.9-inch screen, boasting twice the pixel count of the original Switch and supporting full 1080p resolution. Additionally, the display is capable of up to 120 frames per second, ensuring smoother animations, while high dynamic range (HDR) enhances colour contrast for a richer visual experience. Despite these improvements, the Switch 2 maintains the same thickness as the original model, preserving its signature portable form factor.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less