Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Alibaba Co-founder Jack Ma Announces Retirement

Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba co-founder and chairman Jack Ma has said on Friday (07) that he is scheduled to retire from the service on Monday (11) when he celebrates his 54th birthday.

In an interview with The New York Times, he said, he aims to spend his time for philanthropy focused on education after his retirement.


“Jack Ma will retire next week from Alibaba, the e-commerce giant that made him China's richest man. He says he wants to focus on philanthropy,” tweeted New York Times.

Ma, one of China’s top-most corporate figure, will retain his position on the company’s board of directors and continue to guide Alibaba’s management.

It is still unclear whether the company is going to appoint a new chairman. Also,  There was no official statement from Alibaba on the retirement of the company’s top executive.

Ma was an English teacher before starting Alibaba in 1999 which turned into a multibillion-dollar e-commerce giant which elevated him as a successful entrepreneur in the globe.

Speaking on his retirement, Ma said that his step down is the beginning of a new era instead of an end. Ma was stepped down as chief executive of the company in 2013.

In a paradox, Ma made his first statement on his retirement date in an interview with The New York Times when it is banned in China by ruling Communist Party censor.

In an interview with Bloomberg TV broadcast on Friday (07), he signalled about retirement plans saying he is intended to follow the path of Microsoft founder Bill Gates as philanthropic.

Ma looks after a number of charitable works in education and environmental sectors.

Alibaba founded by a group of 18 people led by Ma. As of now, Ma’s company has more than 66,000 full-time staff members, according to the company’s latest annual data.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less