Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Almost 100 firms relocate to the Netherlands amid Brexit uncertainties: Dutch Agency  

DUE to the ongoing uncertainty in the UK, the Netherlands is becoming increasingly popular as a destination for Brexit-impacted companies, a Dutch government agency said on Monday (26).

Almost 100 businesses have moved from the UK to the Netherlands or set up offices there to be within the European Union (EU) as Britain is scheduled to leave EU later this year.


“To date, almost 100 companies have opted for the Netherlands, and some 325 companies are interested in our country due to the uncertain position of the UK in the EU, the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency (NFAI) said.

NFIA is the organisation that attracts foreign companies into the Netherlands on behalf of the Dutch government.

In relation to Brexit, the Netherlands is particularly attractive for companies in the financial sector, IT, the media and advertising industry, and life sciences and health, the agency added.

Companies such as Bloomberg, AMBest, MarketAxess, Discovery, Norinchukin, and UK P&I chose the Netherlands, the agency noted.

NFIA commissioner Nijland said: “The Netherlands is an attractive country for Brexit-impacted companies. But we are not the only country that these Brexit companies are looking at. We are competing with countries such as France, Ireland, Germany, and Belgium.

“Our experience shows that when a Brexit deal gets further out of sight, and the chance of a no deal increases, more companies contact us. Brexit remains bad news for the Netherlands, but with Brexit, more companies are going to choose our country in the coming years.”

The UK prime minister Boris Johnson has pledged to take his country out of the EU at the end of October with or without an exit deal.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less