Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Amir Khan on accusing Joshua of sleeping with his wife: 'I put him in the firing line for no reason'

Khan became world champion in 2009, defeating Ukraine’s Andreas Kotelnik in a WBA super-lightweight.

Amir Khan on accusing Joshua of sleeping with his wife: 'I put him in the firing line for no reason'

Former world champion Amir Khan now regrets about the public spat he had with fellow boxer Anthony Joshua almost five years ago, according to media reports.

Khan said that he feels 'really bad' about the Twitter episode in which he accused Joshua of sleeping with his wife.


According to the Bolton boxer, he has not spoken to Joshua since the public fall out in 2017.

In May, Khan announced that he was retiring from boxing after a 17-year professional career.

Khan's career ended in defeat when he was stopped in the sixth round of his grudge match against long-time rival and compatriot Kell Brook in Manchester in February.

While speaking about the row on Gary Neville's YouTube channel, Khan said that he lost a good friend due to the bizarre social media outburst, adding that Joshua did nothing wrong.

"I had the problem with Anthony Joshua which I feel really bad for because at the end of the day I put him in the firing line for no reason. He was a friend of mine and since then we’ve not spoken so I lost a good friend through that as well. The guy did nothing wrong and I kind of just stuck it on him really," Khan said.

"Me and my wife weren’t talking and she sent me a message saying ‘so many fighters are messaging me’ and because she sent me a message of Anthony Joshua saying ‘hi’ to her or something, I lost it. I said ‘who the hell is he, saying hi to my wife’. Nothing even happened but I just flipped out on everyone."

Khan added that his mental health was suffering during that period.

"Mental health as well is a very big thing and it’s good that people have started talking about it. It’s happened to the best of us from Tyson Fury and other boxers. I’ve had massive problems, back in 2016 I had a big fall out with my wife. I didn’t box, I had two years out of the ring, put on weight and wasn’t happy with myself," he said during the interview.

"I had a hand operation and when I went back to training, it was still hurting me so I had three operations on it before it was alright and I really thought that I was never going to fight again. It kind of put me on a downer knowing that I’m at the peak of my career but I can’t fight."

According to Khan, his mental health issues and personal arguments led him to the reality TV show ' I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here '.

"I had a fall out with everyone; my family, everyone in my life, I walked away from everyone. I saw a lot of money going missing and I was thinking ‘why’s it going here’ and at the same time some problems happened with the wife and stuff you’ve probably read in the media. I was stuck in the middle, I was getting pressure from both sides.

"[My wife] found it hard because she’s from America and moved to Bolton with no family and friends. It was hard for my family as well, to accept someone else in and she wasn’t getting on with them so I was stuck in the middle."

He added that he did the show not for money but to get away from everything and be himself.

The 2004 Olympic silver medallist, Khan won the first 18 contests of his pro career, becoming one of the finest British boxers of his era.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less