Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Apple eager to tap India's huge potential, says Tim Cook

APPLE'S chief executive officer (CEO) Tim Cook has said the US tech giant will strengthen its presence in India's "under-penetrated" market, amid improving 4G network infrastructure.

Earlier this week, Apple reported a rise in quarterly profit, which climbed 4.9 per cent to slightly more than $11 billion on revenue rising 4.6 per cent to $52.9 billion in the quarterly period that ended April 1.


The company is investing heavily in India, the third largest smartphone market in the world behind China and the US, Cook said, as he revealed that Apple set a new March quarter revenue record in the country, growing by double digits.

"We're very optimistic about our future in this remarkable country with its very large, young and tech savvy population, fast-growing economy and improving 4G network infrastructure," Cook said.

He visited India last year and met prime minister Narendra Modi; Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, Phil Schiller, visited last quarter to inaugurate a developer centre.

"And so there are a ton of things going on there (India). And we agree that we are underpenetrated there. Our growth rates are good, really good by most people's expectations, maybe not mine as much,” Cook said.

"So I'm very excited about it.”

Cook noted that the 4G network investment began rolling in in a significant way toward the last quarter of last year in India, which is the third largest smartphone market in the world today behind China and the US.

"But they are moving fast. They're moving at a speed that I have not seen in any other country in the world once they were started, and it is truly impressive,” he said.

“We believe that there is a huge opportunity for Apple there. And so that and the demographics of the country is why we're putting so much energy there," Cook added.

Yesterday (3), Apple announced it was creating a fund to get more people in the US to do "advanced manufacturing," kicking it off with a billion dollars.

"We are creating an advanced manufacturing fund," Cook said in an interview broadcast on CNBC.

"We are initially putting one billion dollars in the fund."

Apple has about 80,000 employees in the US and plans to hire thousands more "in the future," according to Cook.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less