Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Asian Development Bank distances itself from Pakistan's 'premature' claim of $3.4bn loan

IN a huge embarrassment for the Pakistan government, the ADB has distanced itself from the "premature announcement" of prime minister Imran Khan's adviser that the global lender would provide a loan of $3.4 billion to the cash-strapped nation, saying "discussions are ongoing".

The rare rebuff by the Philippines-headquartered institution came a day after Khan's adviser on finance Abdul Hafeez Shaikh and federal minister for planning, development and reforms Khusro Bakhtiar announced that the country would get a loan of $3.4bn for budgetary support, out of which $2.1bn would be released within a year.


The Asian Development Bank (ADB's) stance taking the rare step on a public holiday to issue a statement assumes significance as the cash-strapped country is trying to overcome a ballooning balance-of-payments crisis that threatens to cripple its economy.

In its statement, the ADB confirmed the meetings with the government members and discussions on loans.

"These discussions are ongoing and details of the plans as well as the volume of ADB's financial support, once finalised, will be contingent upon the approval of ADB management and its Board of Directors," ADB's country director for Pakistan Xiaohong Yang was quoted as saying by Dawn news on Monday (17).

The ADB said it was "discussing with the GoP (government of Pakistan) plans to provide budget support programmes, results-based and project assistance to help improve Pakistan's competitiveness and fiscal sustainability".

It said the bank could help the government manage external debt and balance of payments and maintain the momentum of macroeconomic and structural reforms to support economic stability and expansion.

"ADB is pleased with the progress of discussions with the government of Pakistan on these issues," the statement added.

Sources here said, "the ADB management was embarrassed by the government's premature announcement about the ongoing discussions on loan programme which the bank had not even taken up with its board of directors and had to take an extraordinary step to downplay the discussions".

The ADB delegation which had met Shaikh was also not authorised at its own to finalise any loan programme that normally involved long-drawn discussions, the report said.

Moreover, the ADB had also linked its loans for budgetary support to the approval of $6bn bailout package from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a 39-month reforms programme, it said.

The sources said that the statements by the two senior Cabinet members focused on the exchange rate as the Pakistani rupee has been losing its value against the UD dollar for over a year with no let-up.

Pakistan seeks help to overcome a ballooning balance of payments crisis.

Last month, it reached an agreement in principle with the IMF for a three-year, $6bn bailout package aimed at shoring up its finances and strengthening a slowing economy.

In April, three influential US lawmakers urged the Trump administration to oppose the proposed multi-billion bailout package being sought by Pakistan from the IMF arguing it could be used to repay the Chinese debt.

China is investing heavily in Pakistan under the $60bn China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

Launched in 2015, the CPEC is a planned network of roads, railways and energy projects linking China's resource-rich Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region with Pakistan's strategic Gwadar Port on the Arabian Sea.

The US has serious reservations over global lenders like the IMF providing a bailout to Pakistan to pay off Chinese debts.

Secretary of state Mike Pompeo in the past warned that any potential IMF bailout for Pakistan should not provide funds to pay off Chinese lenders, saying "we will be watching what the IMF does... there is no rationale for IMF tax dollars and associated with that American dollars that are part of the IMF funding, for those to go to bail out Chinese bondholders or China itself".

(PTI)

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less