Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Conman convicted in UK’s biggest cyber fraud faces confiscation hearing

A PAKISTANI-origin man convicted in the UK’s biggest ever cyber fraud case is now facing a confiscation hearing in a British court.

The mastermind in the vishing scam, Feezan Hameed Choudhary, 28, was jailed for 11 years in 2016.


Choudhary spent millions on shopping, wild parties with pop stars, and luxurious leisure activities, Southwark Crown Court heard.

The fraudster and his gang members had tricked 750 RBS and Lloyds customers out of a total of £113m.

Now, the British Asian has been dragged back to the court for a confiscation hearing and the legal proceeding is yet to complete.

Choudhary had benefited from a sum of £19m of the money the scam yielded.

Edward Franklin, prosecuting was quoted in the Daily Mail: “Of that £19m we conclude that £14.8m is recoverable.”

He told the court that it was up to the defendant to prove that he did not have the money.

Muhammad Azhar, another convicted in the scam who proved to be a main, credible witness during the trial.

According to Azhar, Choudhary managed to get up to £1.5m a month during the scam.

Franklin said: “If Azhar is right the defendant could have received around £17 million in the period of the indictment alone." But added the total benefit was estimated to be £19 million.

It is average of £500,000 - £1.5m for 34 months between January 2013 and October 2015.

Choudhary had transferred the money to the bank accounts in Pakistan and purchased a villa with live-in chefs and servants.

The gang had legitimate bank, telephone numbers to cheat the victims easily.

Choudhary was detained when he was trying to board a flight from Paris to Pakistan with a fake passport in 2015 and later handed-over to British authorities for legal proceedings.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less