Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

BAME doctors in UK say Covid risk assessment is yet to take place

DOCTORS from black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) backgrounds say key risk assessments have still not taken place, or have not been acted on.

Of 2,000 doctors who responded to the BBC News poll, 328 said their risks hadn't been assessed at all, while 519 said they had had a risk assessment but no action had been taken.


Another 658 said some action had been taken, with just 383 reporting their risks had been considered in detail and action put into place to mitigate them, reported the BBC.

About 40 per cent of doctors in the UK are from BAME backgrounds, yet 95 per cent of the medics who have died from coronavirus were from minority backgrounds.

Dr Temi Olonisakin, a junior doctor in London who has Type 1 diabetes, scored high risk on her assessment and it was recommended that she limit patient contact.

But during the second wave of the pandemic, she was working in an acute medical unit and had problems getting her risk assessment implemented.

"I had to do a lot of chasing and occupational health weren't as helpful as they could have been. It took a few weeks for me to be moved off patient-facing work. I felt I really had to fight for my safety," Dr  Olonisakin told the BBC.

"It was very stressful. I was very aware of the dangers of working in hospital and possibly picking up virus and what that could mean for me."

British Medical Association (BMA)chairman Dr Chaand Nagpaul said it remained vital that risk assessments happened and were acted on, and weren't a 'tick-box exercise'.

"Career progression isn't great for BAME doctors, so they tend to be in patient-facing roles more than white doctors, and more of them have been on the frontline during the pandemic," Dr Nagpaul told the BBC.

"BAME doctors are more fearful of speaking up about issues in workplace because of the repercussions it might have on their careers. What's required is a cultural transformation within the NHS, where there is equal experience, equal support and equal opportunity. This is a lesson that must be acted upon now."

According to the report, several doctors reported difficulties in getting redeployed, and that it appeared easier for white doctors to avoid patient-facing work.

NHS England said it had written to all hospital trusts and Clinical Commissioning Groups last June, asking them to undertake risk assessments for BAME staff within four weeks - and that most BAME doctors had been offered them.

A spokesman said there had been more than a million risk assessments of staff, with 95 per cent of those from BAME backgrounds having had one.

NHS bodies in Scotland and Wales said they had also implemented measures to address the concerns of BAME staff.

One GP, who wanted to remain anonymous, told the BBC the PPE (personal protective equipment) she was offered wasn't adequate.

Dr Leon Francis, a psychiatrist who set up the Black Medics Forum at the end of last year, told the BBC that the pandemic had been 'another assault on the mental health of black doctors'.

NHS England recommends a number of tools to calculate an individual's risk, one of which is the SAAD Scorecard that was created in memory of Dr Saad Al-Dubbaisi, a GP from Bury who died from the virus last year.

More For You

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

Foreign Office minister Catherine West, health secretary Wes Streeting and equalities minister Seema Malhotra during the Holi Reception in London.

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

THE recent health and life sciences agreement between the UK and India will strengthen cooperation on healthcare innovation and security in both countries, health secretary Wes Streeting said.

Speaking at the Holi reception organised by the 1928 Institute, who are the secretariat for the India All-Party Parliamentary Group, in London on Monday (24), he added that the contribution of British Indians has been pivotal in the growth of the NHS since its inception in 1948, and a robust partnership between the two nations will ensure we have a healthcare provider 'fit for the future'.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-steel-iStock

An aerial view of Steel Plant Industry in Scunthorpe. (Photo: iStock)

British Steel to shut blast furnaces, up to 2,700 jobs at risk

BRITISH STEEL, owned by Chinese group Jingye, confirmed on Thursday that it will shut down its blast furnaces and steelmaking operations in England, attributing the decision to market challenges, tariffs, and rising environmental costs.

The closures, first proposed in late 2023, could lead to the loss of up to 2,700 jobs at the company’s main UK site in Scunthorpe, northern England, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Keep ReadingShow less
Just Stop Oil

Just Stop Oil has garnered significant media attention with its direct action protests

Getty Images

Just Stop Oil ends direct action campaign after major policy success

The environmental activist group Just Stop Oil has announced an end to its disruptive direct action protests, declaring a significant victory in its campaign to halt new oil and gas developments. In a statement released by the organisation, the group confirmed it had successfully influenced government policy to abandon new fossil fuel exploration, marking a major turning point in the movement’s goals.

“Just Stop Oil's initial demand to end new oil and gas is now government policy, making us one of the most successful civil resistance campaigns in recent history,” the group’s statement read. It went on to claim responsibility for having kept over 4.4 billion barrels of oil in the ground, while legal victories in the courts have ruled new oil and gas licences unlawful.

Keep ReadingShow less
submarine-crash-reuters

People walk next to an ambulance in front of the hospital where the bodies of foreigners who were killed when a tourist submarine sank off Egypt's Red Sea resort city of Hurghada, and whose nationalities are still unknown, are kept. (Photo: Reuters)

Six foreign tourists die after submarine sinks off Egypt’s Red Sea coast

SIX tourists died on Thursday when a submarine carrying visitors sank near Hurghada, a resort city on Egypt’s Red Sea coast, state media reported.

According to the state-owned Akhbar Al-Youm newspaper, all the deceased were foreigners. The report also said 19 others were injured in the incident.

Keep ReadingShow less
EU Warns Citizens to Stockpile Essentials Amid War Concerns

Not all EU countries currently have the same level of preparedness

Getty Images

European Union urges citizens to stockpile food and supplies amid risk of war

The European Union (EU) has advised its 450 million citizens to stockpile essential items, including food and water, to prepare for potential emergencies. This call to action is part of a broader strategy to improve disaster preparedness across the 27-nation bloc, as it faces increasing risks from war, cyberattacks, climate change, and public health crises.

The EU’s recommendation comes in light of recent global developments that have raised concerns about security and stability. Citizens are encouraged to have enough food, water, medicine, and other essential supplies to last at least 72 hours during a crisis.

Keep ReadingShow less