Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Bangladesh says it won't allow entry for Rohingya refugees

Several hundred more people have gathered on the Myanmar border to enter Bangladesh as fighting between Myanmar's rebel forces and its junta regime intensifies

Bangladesh says it won't allow entry for Rohingya refugees

BANGLADESH said last Wednesday (7) it will not allow any more Rohingya refugees from Myanmar to enter the country because supporting the huge numbers already there threatens its own security.

Muslim Rohingya have faced persecution in Buddhist-majority Myanmar for decades and nearly a million of them live in crammed, bamboo-and plastic camps in Bangladesh’s border district of Cox’s Bazar; most fled a military crackdown in 2017.


Myanmar’s military rulers view the Rohingya as foreign interlopers and have denied them citizenship, leaving Bangladesh with little prospect of repatriating them over the border to Rakhine from the world’s largest refugee settlement.

“We will not allow any more Rohingya to enter the country... they have already become a burden for us,” Obaidul Quader, the minister for road transport and bridges, told reporters last Wednesday.

“International aid has been significantly reduced. How long can we support them?”

Several hundred more people, mostly from the Chakma ethnic group and some Rohingya, have gathered on the Myanmar border to enter Bangladesh as fighting between Myanmar’s rebel forces and its junta regime intensifies, said Mohammad Mizanur Rahman, Bangladesh’s refugee relief and repatriation commissioner based in Cox’s Bazar.

Rahman said Bangladesh was “overburdened” by Rohingya. “It has been seven years and we have not been able to repatriate them,” he said.

“Keeping Rohingya Muslims in Bangladesh has become a threat to our security, our law and order. It is creating a vulnerable situation for crossborder crime.”

At least 327 border troops and police from Myanmar fled to Bangladesh in recent days amid escalating violence, Shariful Islam, a spokesman for Bangladesh’s Border Guard, said.

Minister Quader said Dhaka was in talks with India and China to ensure that neighbouring Myanmar’s internal conflict does not affect Bangladesh.

The country last Tuesday (6) summoned Myanmar’s ambassador to protest the escalating border violence that killed two people, including a Rohingya, on the Bangladeshi side.

“The aid agencies that were providing financial support previously are also pulling back and it is creating a lot of economic stress for Bangladesh,” Rahman said.

Rahman called on humanitarian organisations, such as the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), to provide food and medical assistance to those caught in the violence in Myanmar due to ongoing conflict.

“It will ensure that people do not have to cross the border and come into Bangladesh. It will also reduce the pressure on us,” he said.

The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) did not immediately respond to request for comment.

“Bangladesh has generously provided sanctuary to those fleeing violence,” the agency previously said.

“UNHCR is in constant contact with the Bangladesh authorities and continues to advocate for civilians fleeing violence to have access to safety.” (Reuters)

More For You

modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Asian drug dealer known as 'starkcake' jailed for 18 years

Heemal Vaid (Photo: NCA)

Asian drug dealer known as 'starkcake' jailed for 18 years

A 49-year-old Asian drug dealer who masterminded the import and sale of cocaine and heroin worth more than £4 million has been jailed for 18 years, after National Crime Agency (NCA) investigators identified him from secret phone messages.

British Indian Heemal Vaid, of Cheam, used EncroChat – an encrypted phone service for criminals – to broker deals, unaware that in 2020, an international law enforcement team would crack EncroChat’s encryption.

Keep ReadingShow less
Metropolitan Police

The Met said it would not be making redundancies but would achieve savings by reducing recruitment and not replacing those who leave.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Met Police to cut 1,700 jobs amid £260m budget shortfall

THE METROPOLITAN POLICE has announced plans to cut 1,700 officers, PCSOs, and staff due to a £260 million budget deficit.

The force will also scale back several services, including the removal of the Royal Parks Police team and officers stationed in schools.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

The country can expect more heatwave days this year

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

INDIA can expect hotter-thanusual temperatures this summer with more heatwave days taking a toll on lives and livelihoods, the weather office warned.

The country is no stranger to scorching summers, but years of scientific research has found climate change is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

Keep ReadingShow less