Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Bank of England’s Governor to Stay Until 2020 to Support Smooth Brexit

Bank of England Governor Mark Carney will serve for an extra seven months until the end of January 2020 to support Britain’s smooth exist from European Union, according to the statement from Chancellor Philip Hammond on Tuesday (11).

Following a request from the chancellor, the governor expressed his desire to serve until January 2020. Carney was scheduled to depart as Governor at the end of June 2019 having extended his tenure by a year already to support Britain during the initial period after Brexit.


“I recognise that during this critical period, it is important that everyone does everything they can to support a smooth and successful Brexit. Accordingly, I am willing to do whatever I can in order to promote both a successful Brexit and an effective transition at the Bank of England and I can confirm that I would be honoured to extend my term to January 2020,” said Carney in a letter to the Chancellor.

Her Majesty's treasury has also announced that Jon Cunliffe has been reappointed as deputy governor for a second five-year term until 2023 to get his support to attain financial stability. Local media had earlier reported the treasury was eager for Carney to extend his term as it was facing difficulty to find a suitable successor.

Carney concentrated heavily on reducing financial market turmoil in the run-up to June 2016’s European Union referendum. He warned costs of an unplanned, disordered Brexit, attracting criticism from the Brexit supporters. Financial market experts, analysts have expressed their joy over the extension for Carney.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less