Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

BBC ‘has discussed paying £1.5m to charity of Royal family’s choice'

IN the wake of the Martin Bashir interview controversy, BBC has discussed to pay £1.5million to a charity of the Royal family's choice, a newspaper report suggest.

The donation described as "guilt money" would include what BBC made from selling the global rights to Bashir's Panorama interview with Princess Diana, also reparations.


In an internal investigation led by Lord Hall, a former director general, BBC had covered up the 1995 interview in a "woefully ineffective" manner. However, an independent report by Lord Dyson said that Bashir had deployed "deceitful behaviour" to secure the interview.

According to The Telegraph, the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex, who has issued critical statements in the wake of the report, would likely have a say how the money will be used.

It further added that lines of communication between Kensington Palace and the BBC have remained open in recent months, however, such a payment has not been discussed.

The Telegraph has claimed the proposed donation would come from BBC Studios, the corporation's trading arm. It is said to be Earl Spencer, Diana's brother who suggested that some of the money made by the BBC should go to her charities.

More For You

Costly medical taxi trips prompt asylum transport crackdown: report

The UK Border Force vessel brings migrants into Dover port who were intercepted crossing the English Channel on October 08, 2025 in Dover, England. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

Costly medical taxi trips prompt asylum transport crackdown: report

THE government will ban asylum seekers from using taxis for medical appointments from February, following a BBC investigation that uncovered long and costly journeys arranged at public expense.

The BBC reported earlier this year that some asylum seekers living in hotels had been sent in taxis for appointments many miles away.

Keep ReadingShow less