Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Biden nominee Vanita Gupta voices regret for 'harsh rhetoric'

Biden nominee Vanita Gupta voices regret for 'harsh rhetoric'

US president Joe Biden's nominee for the Justice Department's No. 3 post, Vanita Gupta, expressed regret for her past "harsh rhetoric" and said she does not favor cutting police funding, as she faced sharp Republican criticism during her US Senate confirmation hearing.

The Senate Judiciary Committee conducted its hearing into the Democratic president's nominations of Gupta on Tuesday (9) as associate attorney general and Lisa Monaco as deputy attorney general, the department's No. 2 job. Biden's fellow Democrats on the committee voiced support for both nominees, but Republicans attacked Gupta.


Senator Chuck Grassley, the panel's top Republican, read aloud past posts from Gupta's Twitter feed in which she assailed Republicans. He accused Gupta of "strident liberal advocacy" and excessive partisanship, reflecting opposition to her Senate confirmation from some Republicans and conservative activists.

"Her Twitter feed has painted Republicans with a broad brush, describing the Republican National Convention as three nights of 'racism, xenophobia and outrageous lies,'" Grassley said.

Gupta pledged to work with law enforcement and with Republicans if confirmed.

"I regret the harsh rhetoric that I have used in the past at times in the last several years," Gupta said. "I wish I could take it back."

Republican Senator Mike Lee sought to paint Gupta as a hypocrite, noting she previously urged the Senate to reject an apology by one of Republican former president Donald Trump's judicial nominees who had written racially insensitive comments while in college.

"You told him that his apology was too late and too self-interested," Lee said. "Is that something that we ought to apply to you?"

"I am a believer in second chances, and redemption," Gupta replied. "And I would ask for that."

If confirmed, Gupta would oversee the department's civil and civil rights divisions, as well as antitrust, environmental, grant-making and community policing matters.

She served as acting assistant attorney general of the department's Civil Rights Division under Democratic former President Barack Obama, overseeing high-profile investigations into systemic abuses by police departments in Baltimore and Ferguson, Missouri.

Democratic Senator Dick Durbin, the committee chairman, called Republicans hypocritical for criticising her, noting they "sat by silently while there was no Senate-confirmed associate attorney general for nearly three years" under Trump.

One conservative group, the Judicial Crisis Network, recently starting running a television ad incorrectly claiming Gupta told Reuters in a article last June she supports defunding police, a statement she did not make.

"I do not support defunding the police," Gupta told the committee.

Durbin called the group's attacks on Gupta "sad and pitiful" and accused it of "patently false claims."

Republicans questioned Gupta on her views on racism after she said it "remains very much a live problem in America today." Republicans tried to portray her as flip-flopping on policy positions, pointing to past comments on decriminalising drugs and eliminating the qualified immunity legal doctrine that has shielded some police officers accused of misconduct from liability.

Questioned by Republican Senator John Cornyn, Gupta said her prior statements opposing qualified immunity came in her capacity as head of a civil rights group.

"I don't come in supporting it - elimination - one way or another," Gupta added, saying her duty would be to follow Biden's lead on policy and engaging with interested parties on the topic.

Biden's nominee for Office of Management and Budget director, Neera Tanden, withdrew from consideration last week after facing criticism for previous social media posts blasting lawmakers. Tanden had tried to delete some of the posts.

Monaco, expected to face a smoother confirmation process than Gupta, is a former prosecutor who also served as Obama's homeland security and counter terrorism adviser.

If confirmed, Monaco would help oversee the department's investigation into the deadly January 6 rampage at the US Capitol by a pro-Trump mob, an event she called "an attack that cut to our country's core."

Monaco pledged that she would provide ample resources to Special Counsel John Durham, named by former Attorney General William Barr to investigate Obama-era officials for their probe into Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.

The committee previously approved Biden's attorney general nominee, Merrick Garland.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less