Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Birmingham bankrupt disqualified after abusing restrictions

A BIRMINGHAM bankrupt who continued to run a payroll company despite being banned has been disqualified for nine years.

Addrees Ahmed, 46, will be joined on the disqualified directors register by his wife, Robina Shaheen, 42, after she allowed her husband to control the payroll company.


Shaheen will be banned for six years.

Their bans came into effect on January 7. Accordingly, both Ahmed and Shaheen cannot, without the permission of the court, be involved in the formation, promotion or management of a company, directly or indirectly.

Academy Management Services Limited was incorporated in 2016, and Shaheen was listed as one of the registered directors, while Ahmed was not appointed a director and never was during the company’s existence.

Ahmed was made bankrupt upon his own petition in 2016 and that meant, among other restrictions, that he was restricted from acting as a director of a limited company.

But this did not stop Ahmed from acting as a director of the payroll company, while his wife played no role in the management of Academy Management Services, and instead, passed the control over to her husband.

In April 2017, the company entered into insolvency proceedings and despite having a duty to co-operate with the appointed liquidator of the company, Ahmed failed to maintain or deliver up Academy Management Services’ books and records.

This failure has meant that the liquidator and the Insolvency service have been unable to establish why the payroll company failed to disclose to the tax authorities £91,510 worth of funds paid to Academy Management Services by a third party for contracted work.

In signing his undertaking, Ahmed did not dispute that he acted in the capacity of a director of Academy Management Services while being disqualified as he was bankrupt at the time and did not have permission from the court.

Ahmed also did not dispute that he failed to deliver adequate accounting records to the liquidator.

Shaheen did not dispute in her undertaking that she breached her duties to the payroll company by not playing an active management roll and passing control to her husband.

She also failed to promote the success of Academy Management Services, while failing to exercise independent judgment and failing to exercise reasonable care, skill or diligence.

Dave Elliott, chief investigator for the insolvency service, said: “Both Addrees and Robina are culpable for their actions. Addrees knew of his restrictions, while Robina as a registered director failed in her duties to ensure the payroll company was managed properly.

“We will continue to investigate the conduct of the directors and where there is sufficient evidence, as there was in this case, instigate disqualifications proceedings in the public interest.”

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less