Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Boohoo Records Strong Sales Growth During Last Four Months Of 2018

The online retailer, Boohoo recorded strong sales growth during the September-December 2018 period showing a sign that the people prefer online shopping over the high street.

The fashion retailer also owns the PrettyLittleThing and Nastygal fashion labels, whose revenues in the four-month period jump 44 per cent to £328.2 million.


Boohoo described the latest data as ‘another great set of results’. Revenue from PrettyLittleThing nearly doubled, rising by 95 per cent to £144.2m, while there was 74 per cent growth in NastyGal's revenue to £20.6m.

The company has also revised its revenue growth forecast for the financial year 43 per cent to 45 per cent, up from a previous estimate of 38 per cent to 43 per cent.

Boohoo founded in 2006 targets the audience in the age group of 16 to 30-year-old in the market. The distributes its stock from a huge warehouse in Burnley, and it claims to have more than five million customers.

Julie Palmer, the partner at business consultancy Begbies Traynor, speaking on the latest data said that the latest results would "go some way to restoring calm" after the surprise pre-Christmas profit warning from rival online fashion retailer Asos.

"Customers are basing their decisions on price, and Boohoo is very competitively placed to capitalise on this. Tie in the fact that overall footfall is down on the High Street and online sales continue to grow, Boohoo is entering 2019 in a very strong position."

She also noted that Boohoo should continue with its innovative ideas if it wants to stay in fashion sector. According to the latest Red Flag Alert, the number of online retailers in the financial crisis rose 8500 last year.

Boohoo group looks immune to the turbulent situation in the UK retail sector over the last few months, according to Emily Salter, a retail analyst at data and analytics company GlobalData.

She added that 2019 should be another successful year, but warned UK growth could slow because of "the relative maturity of the brands".

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less