Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Boris Johnson under fire for comparing burqas to 'letter boxes'

Former UK foreign secretary Boris Johnson came under fire today (6) after he described the burqa as "oppressive" and compared Muslim women who wear the clothing to "letter boxes".

In his regular column in The Daily Telegraph on Sunday, the Conservative Party MP had laid out his views against a complete ban on the Islamic clothing in line with the recent burqa ban in Denmark.


"If you tell me that the burka (burqa) is oppressive, then I am with you I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes," he wrote.

He said businesses and government agencies in the UK should be able to "enforce a dress code" that allowed them to see people's faces.

"If a female student turned up at school or at a university lecture looking like a bank robber then those in authority should be allowed to converse openly with those that they are being asked to instruct," he wrote.

But added: "Such restrictions are not quite the same as telling a free-born adult woman what she may or may not wear, in a public place, when she is simply minding her own business."

The former Cabinet minister, who had resigned as foreign secretary last month amid a clash over the Brexit strategy, said a total ban on face-covering veils would give a boost to radicals and could lead to "a general crackdown on any public symbols of religious affiliation".

However, his remarks prompted calls for an apology, with the Muslim Council of Britain accusing him of "pandering to the far right" and Labour party MPs accusing him of stoking Islamophobia.

Labour MP David Lammy said: "Muslim women are having their burqas pulled off by thugs in our streets and Boris Johnson's response is to mock them for 'looking like letter boxes'.

"Our pound-shop Donald Trump is fanning the flames of Islamophobia to propel his grubby electoral ambitions."

Labour's shadow equalities minister, Naz Shah, added: "Boris Johnson's latest racist insults cannot be laughed off, like they often are. Theresa May must condemn this blatant Islamophobia and Boris Johnson must apologise."

Another Labour MP, Jess Phillips, said she would report Johnson to the country's Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC).

Denmark last week followed France, Austria and Belgium in imposing face-covering burqa and niqab bans in public places and a fine of about 120 Euros has already been imposed on a woman wearing a full-face veil in a shopping centre in the town of Hørsholm.

UK prime minister Theresa May's official spokesperson said: "The long-standing government position on this is clear, that we do not support a ban on the wearing of the veil in public. Such a prescriptive approach would be not in keeping with British values of religious tolerance and gender equality."

More For You

uk-railways-iStock

The package includes £415 million to upgrade the rail line between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds, and York, a route affected by delays and disruptions. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Government announces £1.7 bn transport investment for the North

THE GOVERNMENT has announced a £1.7 billion investment to improve transport infrastructure across the North, focusing on buses, roads, and rail.

The funding aims to upgrade key routes and improve connectivity across the region.

Keep ReadingShow less
Keir-Starmer-Getty

Keir Starmer’s communications chief has resigned after nine months in Downing Street. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Starmer’s communications chief Matthew Doyle resigns after nine months

KEIR STARMER’s communications chief, Matthew Doyle, has resigned after nine months in Downing Street. Doyle, a Labour veteran who previously worked for Tony Blair, joined Starmer’s team as communications director four years ago when the party was in opposition.

His departure follows that of Sue Gray, Starmer’s former chief of staff, who left in the autumn. Doyle’s exit is expected to lead to the promotions of James Lyons to director of communications (strategy) and Steph Driver to director of communications (delivery), according to the BBC.

Keep ReadingShow less
Leicester leaders push for major expansion amid local government shake-up

Leicester’s population is expected to grow from 372,000 now to just over 600,000 by 2028

Leicester leaders push for major expansion amid local government shake-up

Hannah Richardson

LEICESTER leaders have named the areas they want to be incorporated into the city amid a shake-up of local government structures. The massive expansion plan would see a number of towns and villages at the city’s edges brought inside Leicester’s boundary.

Leicester City Council is looking to take part of Blaby and Harborough districts, and part of Oadby and Wigston and Charnwood boroughs. Among the communities being eyed up are Glenfield, Oadby, Wigston, Blaby, Whetstone, Syston, Anstey, Leicester Forest East, Birstall, Kirby Muxloe, Thurmaston and Countesthorpe.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lakshmi-Mittal-Getty

Mittal, who built his steel business over five decades, moved to the UK in 1995. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Lakshmi Mittal may leave UK after non-dom tax abolition: report

STEEL tycoon Lakshmi Mittal is considering leaving the UK following the government’s decision to abolish the non-domiciled tax status. The move would make him one of the most prominent entrepreneurs to leave due to the tax reform.

Mittal, who has lived in the UK for three decades, has informed associates that his departure is likely due to Labour’s decision to end the non-dom regime, which allowed certain residents to avoid paying UK tax on foreign income.

Keep ReadingShow less
King Charles

The palace said in a statement that after receiving scheduled treatment in the morning, the king had 'temporary side effects that required a short period of observation in hospital.' (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

King Charles cancels engagements after cancer treatment side effects

KING CHARLES has postponed his engagements for Thursday and Friday after experiencing side effects from his ongoing cancer treatment, Buckingham Palace announced.

The palace said in a statement that after receiving scheduled treatment in the morning, the king had "temporary side effects that required a short period of observation in hospital."

Keep ReadingShow less