Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Brazil and Australia to Fight Against India’s Any Possible Sugar Export Subsidy

Brazilian and Australian sugar industry groups are working together with their respective governments to prepare a formal complaint to the World Trade Organization (WTO) over any possible sugar export subsidy by India, a top Brazilian sugar official told Reuters.

Brazil and Australia view any subsidy by India, set to take over as the world's largest sugar producer this year, as a grave threat to a recent price recovery, Eduardo Leão, executive director at Brazil's cane industry group Unica, said in an interview.


The two countries reached a consensus regarding the need to act at the WTO level if India moves to provide an export subsidy to sugar producers, Leão told Reuters late Tuesday (11).

Analysts and sugar traders are expecting such a move by India as the country would be willing to put in the market a large local surplus built after a record crop this year, and amid expectations for another big output in the coming season.

"We have heard comments that India could launch an export subsidy," Leão said. "It is not admissible, we would seek an action from the Brazilian government," he added.

Raw sugar prices in New York recovered slightly in the last days since slumping to a 10-year low of 9.91 cents on August 22 as a two-year global supply surplus and massive fund short position pressured values.

There was no immediate comment from the Indian trade ministry.

Indian officials have earlier said the country's sugar exports do not violate WTO rules as New Delhi does not give any subsidy for overseas sales. India rather gives production subsidy to its cane growers.

The Unica director said there are talks going on with Australian sugar industry representatives for a joint strategy at the WTO if the need arises.

Australia's minister for trade, Simon Birmingham on Thursday (13) declined to confirm or deny plans for a formal complaint, though he confirmed Canberra's frustration.

"It is clear that export subsidies introduced recently by the India and Pakistan governments have contributed to a growing glut on global markets," Birmingham said in an emailed statement to Reuters.

Australia, one the world's largest sugar exporters, is expected to produce a near-record crop of 4.8 million tonnes this year, the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences estimated.

"We know the market fell due to a coincidence of large productions in Europe, Thailand and India, but things are improving now, production is falling so we don't see the need for an export subsidy from India," Leão said.

Market estimates put Indian sugar surplus at about 10 million tonnes. That sugar is priced above current market so to stimulate exports the government would need to help mills.

Unica's director said Indian mills will eventually be able to sell in the export market as prices continue to recover.

He said the Brazilian government is willing to back their plans. "They are sensitive to this due to the difficult financial situation of many mills".

Brazil decided on August 31 to open a consultation at the WTO regarding Chinese safeguards on sugar imports.

Reuters

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less