Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

BRG owned Giraffe and Ed's Easy Diner brands to shut 27 outlets

THE BOPARAN Restaurant Group (BRG), owner of Giraffe and Ed's Easy Diner, said yesterday (4) that it is set to shut 27 restaurants of the two brands putting 340 jobs at risk.

Closures of the restaurants will come across the UK, at sites including Aberdeen, Manchester’s Trafford Centre and London’s Holland Park.


The latest decision made to close almost a third of their 87 restaurants is aimed at protecting the company from further loss.

The two brands will enter a company voluntary arrangement (CVA), the company said, adding that CVA is the only option to protect the chain.

 “This CVA seeks to address the cost of the company’s leasehold obligations across a number of unprofitable sites, and if successful, will put the business on a surer financial footing,” Will Wright, partner at business consultants KPMG, which will supervise attempts to make a deal, said in a call with creditors.

The move to enter a CVA will be put to a creditor vote, with advisers from KPMG overseeing the insolvency process. 

Creditors are scheduled to vote on the proposal on March 21 with at least 75 per cent required to approve it for the CVA to proceed.

BRG is backed by British Indian businessman Ranjit Boparan, who also owns the 2 Sisters Food Group, one of Britain’s biggest food producers, and Harry Ramsden fish and chip shops.

BRG purchased Giraffe from Tesco in 2016 in a deal valued at about £13 million. In the same year, the firm paid almost £10m to acquire 30 Ed’s Easy Diner sites after the business entered into administration. 

The companies were then merged into BRG-owned Giraffe Concepts Ltd, which created revenue of £67.1m in 2017 with a loss of £9.9m, according to company figures. 

The two brands have 87 restaurants, although none of the possible shut down will affect the 17 outlets operated by franchisees, including those in airports. 

The company employs more than 1,300 people. 

Tom Crowley, chief executive of BRG, said: "The combination of increasing costs and over-supply of restaurants in the sector and a softening of consumer demand have all contributed to the challenges both these brands face.

“We have been examining options for the two brands for some time…The combination of increasing costs and over-supply of restaurants in the sector and a softening of consumer demand have all contributed to the challenges both these brands face.”

Meanwhile, staff at 20 Giraffe and seven Ed’s restaurants have been notified of the start of a consultation process on their jobs. 

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less