Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Britain ramps up borrowing forecasts, sees slower growth due to Brexit

BRITAIN ramped up its borrowing forecasts today as the economy slows in the wake of the Brexit vote, chancellor Philip Hammond said in his first budget plan since the UK decided to leave the European Union.

The weaker growth and tighter public finances outlined by Hammond leave Prime Minister Theresa May’s government little room to ramp up public spending or make big cuts to taxes to help the world’s fifth-largest economy through its EU divorce.


Britain will need to borrow £122 billion more over the next five years than it expected before voters decided to leave the EU in June, Hammond said. The net public sector debt is forecast to hit a peak of 90.2 per cent of economic output in 2017/18, he said.

“Our task now is to prepare our economy to be resilient as we exit the EU and match-fit for the transition that will follow,” Hammond told parliament to cheers from fellow Conservative MPs.

Hammond said that while the Brexit vote “will change the course of Britain’s history” it “also makes more urgent than ever the need to tackle our economy’s long-term weaknesses like the productivity gap.”

In an attempt to prepare Britain for leaving the EU, Hammond said the government planned to invest 1.0-1.2 per cent of GDP on economic infrastructure from 2020, up from 0.8 per cent now.

Sterling was little changed at $1.2406.

The Office for Budget Responsibility, Britain’s independent budget forecasters, said gross domestic product would grow by 1.4 per cent in 2017, down from an estimate of 2.2 per cent made in March, before voters decided to leave the EU.

Hammond, announcing the first detailed economic plans of May’s government, said the OBR believes uncertainty about Britain’s trading relationships with its EU neighbours - who buy nearly half the country’s exports - will cut growth by 2.4 percentage points over coming years.

Hammond said the OBR now saw economic growth in 2018 at 1.7 per cent compared with March’s forecast of 2.1 per cent.

“We will maintain our commitment to fiscal discipline while recognising the need for investment to drive productivity and fiscal headroom to support the economy through the transition.”

Britain’s economy has so far largely withstood the shock of the Brexit vote, wrong-footing the Bank of England and almost all private economists who expected a bigger immediate hit.

Brexit supporters, who say Britain’s economy is likely to fare much better than the widespread views of a slowdown, are likely to question the credibility of the latest OBR forecasts.

Britain is expected to run a budget deficit of nearly £22 billion in the 2019/20 financial year which until recently had been the target date for a first budget surplus, Hammond said, citing forecasts from the budget office.

“The prime minister and I remain firmly committed to seeing the public finances return to balance as soon as practicable… while leaving enough flexibility to support the economy in the near-term,” he said.

Hammond said he would stick to a business tax road map set out in March and that he would change the tax treatment of past business losses to ensure firms always pay tax in the years they make a profit.

To soften the hit to living standards for poorer households, the chancellor announced before Hammond’s statement that the government would raise the minimum wage, partially reverse planned cuts in benefits for low-earners and curb fees on renting property.

Shares in leading estate agents tumbled after Britain said it would ban one-off tenant fees to try to bring down the cost of renting, the latest move to hit landlords.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less