Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

British Asians lead the way in pension contribution

by LAUREN CODLING

BRITISH ASIANS contributing to their pension is at a record high, new government figures revealed last Friday (23).


An all-time high of 751,000 of those within British Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities are saving for their old age pension, according to new statistics. In the past six years, automatic enrolment has seen numbers rise by more than 313,000.

Guy Opperman, minister for pension and financial inclusion, said the figures showed that automatic enrolment was helping people across all communities to “plot a path to a more secure retirement.”

“Saving earlier and saving often is the best way to build a pension pot for later life,” Opperman said.

Automatic enrolment, introduced to help address the decline in private pension saving, aims to increase workplace pension saving in the UK.

Sharad S Chandak, the regional head of the State Bank of India (SBI) in the UK, said he was not surprised by the findings.

Speaking to Eastern Eye on Tuesday (27), Chandak said the habit of saving money came from the older generations. Specifically noting the spending habits of Indians, he said communities tended to save for their old age and for their children.

“It is a habit pattern built over the generations,” he said. “It is a family tradition in India. They believe they should be passing on their wealth to their family.”

Asked if he believed if British Asians were more cautious with their money, he agreed that the older generation could well be in the habit of doing so. However, he did not believe that the young generation were as wary with their spending.

Since 2008, every UK business must put their employees into a pension scheme and, where appropriate, pay contributions.

Tarsem Dhaliwal is the CEO of Iceland, one of the UK’s leading supermarket companies. Reacting to the news, he highlighted the workplace pension put to employees by the groceries business.

“Our workplace pension makes it easy to save for the future and is a great addition to the benefits we offer,” he said. “It helps make Iceland a great place to work.”

Other previous key findings revealed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) showed that 87 per cent of eligible employees took part in a workplace pension in 2018, up from 84 per cent in 2017 and £90.4 billion was saved in the previous year by eligible savers.

Additional developments planned by the DWP include pensions dashboards, allowing everyone to see all of their pension pots in one place, while the new Collective Defined Contribution pension schemes will potentially offer better returns on savings.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less