Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

British mum accused of son's murder dies in Finland

A BRITISH woman, who was recently arrested in Finland over her toddler’s death, has died in a suspected case of suicide.

Ayesha Ali, 35, had been taken into police custody after her two-year-old son Adam was found dead in her apartment in Espoo last month. Reports said she was “rushed” last week from the prison to a hospital, where she died on Thursday (February 6).


“The cause of death is investigated under a strict duty of confidentiality. Therefore, we cannot reveal more details,” said Crime commissioner Petri Eronen.

“On a general level, we can say that the police are investigating what led to the suspect's death,” he added.

Ali had allegedly killed Adam, after she told family and friends that she was going to kill herself. Subsequently, the Cambridge graduate was sent to Vantaa Prison near Helsinki.

At the time of her arrest, neighbours had heard Ali shouting, “I have killed my son… I have killed my son….”

They said one of her friends had tried pacifying Ali, shouting to her: “Ayesha! We're here to help you. We can talk about it.”

But, all that Ali replied was: “I want to die”.

Police officers had to break the lock to enter the apartment. When they attempted to resuscitate the boy, Ali reportedly told them, “He turned blue and is very cold.”

Ali, a freelance English teacher from Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, had moved to Finland with Adam’s father Adnane Osmane, an assistant professor of physics at Alto University, in January last year.

Osmane filed for divorce in May and a custody battle over their son ensued. Reports said Ali had been living in a homeless shelter at that time.

In one of her online posts, Ali said: “Some recent personal experiences have piqued my interest in family law and the experiences of immigrant women and children in Finland.”

Eventually, however, Ali and Osmane agreed on joint custody, wherein Adam would stay with the mother from Sunday to Tuesday.

“He was a lovely little boy—very cute,” one of Ali’s neighbours recalled. “I would see her taking him out to the park in a stroller. It's a sad case.”

It's a doubly sad case for Ali's parents, Imtiaz, 73, and Safia, 68, who had rushed to Finland on learning about her being hospitalised.

Safia regularly visited Ali and Adam. Ali sent her home to Staffordshire just days before Adam died, insisting that she could cope by herself, said reports.

A neighbour close to the family said Adam's death and their daughter's deteriorating health had already devastated Safia and Imtiaz. And then came the news of Ali’s death.

“Hena [Ali’s middle name] was an incredible young woman,” said the neighbour, who requested anonymity. “She was gorgeous looking and the baby was the same. They did not deserve this terrible thing.”

Other neighbours described the Alis as a “lovely” and “kind family”, who often delivered food to old, needy people on the street.

Before leaving for Finland, Ali’s father Imtiaz had defended her, saying Adam’s death was “accidental”.

“She hasn't admitted to any charges,” he had told the media. “She has been admitted to a hospital in Helsinki. She is an intelligent woman and highly educated. She has one masters degree, one Cambridge degree and one PGCE.”

The UK Foreign Office was “in contact with Finnish authorities” and “providing support to the family of a British woman who has died in custody”.

More For You

india-sri-lanka-deals

A new five-year defence cooperation agreement includes provisions for training Sri Lankan military personnel in India, along with information and technology sharing. (Photo: X/@narendramodi)

Modi signs defence and energy deals during Sri Lanka visit

INDIA and Sri Lanka signed defence and energy agreements on Saturday during prime minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Colombo, aimed at strengthening ties between the two neighbours.

The agreements come amid New Delhi’s concerns over China’s growing influence in the region.

Keep ReadingShow less
Did Obama Really Weaken the Democratic Party? A New Book Reveals

Fight: Inside the Wildest Battle for the White House offers a detailed narrative

Getty

New book claims Obama ‘destroyed’ Democratic Party during and after presidency

A newly published political book has revealed fresh details about former President Barack Obama's complicated relationship with the Democratic Party, portraying him as a figure who weakened the party’s infrastructure during and after his time in office.

The book, Fight: Inside the Wildest Battle for the White House, authored by political journalists Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes, claims that Obama was never a strong loyalist to the Democratic Party. According to the authors, rather than relying on the traditional Democratic Party structure, Obama built his political base by fostering a network of Black professionals to support his campaigns, differentiating him from figures such as former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and current President Joe Biden.

Keep ReadingShow less
TCS-Reuters

TCS has denied all allegations. (Photo: Reuters)

TCS denies age and nationality bias in UK redundancy case

A UK employment tribunal has heard claims that Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) unfairly targeted older, non-Indian nationals during a redundancy programme in 2023.

According to The Guardian, three former employees allege that TCS, a Mumbai-based IT outsourcing firm, discriminated against them on grounds of age and nationality as part of a restructuring process.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sadiq Khan

Khan will be given 'call-in' powers to review decisions by local councils that block late-night drinking licences in key nightlife areas. (Photo: Getty Images)

New powers for Sadiq Khan to support London's night-time economy

LONDON Sadiq Khan will receive new powers to help cut red tape affecting pubs, clubs and restaurants, the UK government announced on Friday.

Khan will be given “call-in” powers to review decisions by local councils that block late-night drinking licences in key nightlife areas.

Keep ReadingShow less
Russell brand

Sexual offences said to have taken place between 1999 and 2005

Getty

Russell Brand faces rape and sexual assault charges involving 4 women

Russell Brand has been formally charged with a series of sexual offences said to have taken place between 1999 and 2005. The comedian and actor faces allegations from four separate women, with the charges including rape, indecent assault, oral rape and further counts of sexual assault.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed on Friday that Brand has been informed of the charges. A statement from the force said he is to be charged with one count of rape in the Bournemouth area in 1999, one count of indecent assault in Westminster in 2001, one count of oral rape and an additional sexual assault in Westminster in 2004, and a further count of sexual assault in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.

Keep ReadingShow less