Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Buffalo gunman’s manifesto names ‘Sadiq Khan as enemy’

Buffalo gunman’s manifesto names ‘Sadiq Khan as enemy’

LONDON mayor Sadiq Khan was on the hit list of a teenager who gunned down 10 people at a supermarket in Buffalo in the US state of New York on Saturday (14), according to media reports.

A 180-page “manifesto” of Payton Gendron, who surrendered after the racist rampage, named Khan as a prominent “enemy” to be killed.

Khan, elected twice as the mayor of London, is the son of Pakistani immigrants and is a prominent figure in the British South Asian community.

Gendron, 18, believed to be "inspired" by a shooter who killed 51 people at two New Zealand mosques in March 2019, also referred to the organised child sex abuse in the English town of Rotherham, The Telegraph said.

The gunman shot four people in the Buffalo store's parking lot, three of them fatally, before entering the supermarket. Among those killed inside was a retired police officer working as a security guard.

A spokesperson for Twitch said the shooter used the platform to broadcast the attack live and that the streaming service had removed the video within "two minutes."

The rampage is being investigated as a federal hate crime "perpetrated by a racially motivated violent extremist," Stephen Belongia, special agent in charge of the FBI's Buffalo field office, said.

GettyImages 1236754288 Mayor of London Sadiq Khan. (Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images)


The police commissioner for the city in western New York, Joseph Gramaglia, told reporters the suspect did "reconnaissance" on the predominantly black area surrounding Tops Friendly Market and drove there from his hometown of Conklin, more than 200 miles (322 kilometres) away.

Wearing heavy body armour and wielding an AR-15 assault rifle, the shooter killed 10 people and wounded three others - almost all of them black - before threatening to turn the gun on himself. Police said officers talked the gunman down before arresting him.

The suspect was arraigned late on Saturday on a single count of first-degree murder and held without bail, the Erie County district attorney's office said. He pleaded not guilty.

"The evidence that we have uncovered so far makes no mistake that this is an absolute racist hate crime," Gramaglia said, adding Gendron had a rifle and shotgun in his car.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown was unequivocal about the shooter's motivations: "This individual came here with the express purpose of taking as many black lives as he possibly could."

Gramaglia said the gunman had last year made "generalised threats" at his high school, after which state police referred him to a hospital for a mental health evaluation that lasted approximately one day and a half. He was then released.

In Washington, President Joe Biden - whom the White House said would visit Buffalo on Tuesday (17) - condemned the racist extremism and "hate that remains a stain on the soul of America."

The attack evoked memories of recent US history's most devastating attacks, including a white man's 2015 massacre of nine worshippers in a predominantly black South Carolina church, and the 2019 attack by a white man in Texas that claimed 23 lives, most of them Latino.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less