Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Burberry subcontractor probed for 'exploiting' Asian immigrants in Italy

Burberry subcontractor probed for 'exploiting' Asian immigrants in Italy

ITALIAN police have arrested a Chinese couple accused of running a leather goods business which exploited immigrant workers, including those from Pakistan and Bangladesh, to make handbags for a Burberry supplier, according to an arrest warrant.

Tax police in Florence said the two Chinese nationals were arrested on Wednesday (9) as part of an investigation into alleged labour exploitation and tax fraud. Restrictive measures had been imposed on two other family members, including a ban on them leaving Italy, it said.


British luxury group Burberry, which is not accused of any wrongdoing, had no immediate comment on the case.

The police statement, which did not name the companies involved, said the four had exploited immigrant workers from countries including China, Pakistan and Bangladesh, making them work up to 14 hours a day for just over €3 (£2.59) an hour, and that police had seized €523,000 (£451654).

The arrest warrant, which details the allegations against the four, said they effectively ran a leather goods company based on the outskirts of Florence called Samipell Srl which worked as a subcontractor to Tivoli Group Spa, a Burberry supplier. Samipell's owners exploited at least 40 immigrant workers, taking advantage of "their state of need" to make Burberry handbags for Tivoli, the warrant said.

Tivoli, which is not under investigation, did not reply to phone calls and an email seeking comment.

Samipell was set up in 2014 and was declared bankrupt by a Florence court in March 2021, according to the warrant.

Florence chief prosecutor Giuseppe Creazzo told a news conference that the arrests were the latest in a crackdown against labour exploitation and irregular work contracts in the area, which is dotted with hundreds of textile and leather goods artisan workshops.

Italy accounts for around 40 per cent of manufacturing for the global fashion and luxury industry.

The arrest warrant includes a transcript of a wiretapped phone conversation in which one of the Chinese people under investigation is quoted as telling a Tivoli employee that, if needed, he will make workers toil through the night to dye small "Title" bags, a type of Burberry handbag which sells for around €1,500 (£1,295).

It added that the Chinese couple had opened and closed a series of leather goods companies since 2013 to evade taxes and the authorities, transferring workers and machinery from one business to the other but keeping the same address.

Police in the nearby town of Prato, home to one of Europe's biggest Chinese communities, last month placed two Chinese nationals under house arrest for allegedly exploiting Chinese and African workers to make luxury handbags for Chloe. Chloe owner Richemont did not reply to an email seeking comment on the case.

More For You

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

Xi Jinping

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

THE Chinese president, Xi Jinping, last Friday (28) pledged deeper cooperation with his Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad Yunus in a meeting that came as Dhaka seeks new friends to offset frosty ties with India.

Yunus took charge of Bangladesh last August after the toppling of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to New Delhi after a student-led uprising.

Keep ReadingShow less
Milton-Keynes

Eyewitnesses described hearing shouting before the shooting

iStock

Man shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes railway station

A MAN was shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes Central station after reports that he was carrying a firearm.

Thames Valley Police (TVP) said officers were called to the station at 12:55, where they challenged a suspect carrying a knife. The man moved towards officers before police fired at him.

Keep ReadingShow less
EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

SCRUTINY: The tribunal’s favourable verdict is an important win for accountability, say current and retired Asian judges (Pic credit: Getty Images/Leon Neal)

EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

A tribunal has ordered the body which appoints judges in England and Wales to disclose records it refused to give to Eastern Eye.

The decision is a major victory for press freedoms because it forces the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) to become more open and transparent.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sunita-Williams-Reuters

Sunita Williams was part of the SpaceX Crew-9 mission and had been stranded in space for over nine months. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters)

India looks amazing from space, says Sunita Williams

NASA astronaut Sunita Williams described India as "amazing" from space and expressed her intention to visit her "father's home country" to share her experiences on space exploration.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, she responded to a question about how India appeared from space and the possibility of collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less