Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Businesses in England to get £9.7 billion in rates relief

BUSINESSES in England, which are hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic, are set to receive a discount of £9.7 billion on their rates bills this financial year, shows the latest statistics published by the government.

As part of a comprehensive package to support businesses during the pandemic, firms such as eligible shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs will pay no business rates in this financial year across England, the data published on 22 April shows.


The support came after budget 2020 increased business rates retail discount to 100 per cent from 50 per cent for 2020 to 2021. The government has committed to compensating local authorities in full for the business rate relief with payments due to begin shortly, an official statement said.

The government also announced extra funding  of £3.2 billion to councils to support  the needy. This includes getting rough sleepers off the street, supporting new shielding programmes for clinically extremely vulnerable people and assistance for public health workforce and fire and rescue services.

"Through working with local authorities, we are giving businesses the support that they need during this national emergency; an unprecedented nearly £10 billion in business rates relief," says local government secretary Robert Jenrick.

"The government was clear that we would do whatever it took to support local business and that is exactly what we are doing. We stand behind them and their employees as we work to protect the NHS and save lives."

Minister for local government Simon Clarke said: "It is great that councils estimate they will provide almost £10 billion in additional business rate relief this financial year. This will provide businesses with a much-needed boost at this unprecedented time and builds on over £6 billion already awarded to business in grants announced earlier this week."

Businesses do not need to take any action as their local council will apply the discount automatically, the statement further said.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less