Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

CD&R gets more time to make counter bid for Morrisons

THE UK takeover panel has extended the deadline for Clayton, Dubilier & Rice (CD&R) till August 20 to consider a counter takeover bid for the supermarket group Morrisons.

CD&R had time until 5pm on August 9 to make an offer or walk away, but the US private equity firm sought more time after its rival bidder, SoftBank-owned Fortress, increased its bid to £6.7 billion on Friday (6).


On Friday (6), Morrisons also adjourned its shareholder meet to vote on the Fortress offer from August 16 to August 27.

Fortress has offered 270 pence per Morrisons share plus a 2 pence a share special dividend and said it “remains committed to becoming the new owner of Morrisons.”

On June 17, Morrisons rejected a 230 pence a share proposal worth £5.52bn from CD&R, which has former Tesco boss Terry Leahy as a senior adviser.

Later on July 3, the supermarket group had agreed to Fortress’ 254 pence a share offer worth £6.3bn, but its major investors Silchester, M&G and JO Hambro said the offer was too low.

J O Hambro had said that CD&R must raise the bid amount for takeover to succeed.

For the Fortress’ latest offer to pass it needs the support of shareholders representing at least 75 per cent in value of voting investors at the meeting on August 27.

Besides, the Fortress consortium has given assurances that it would retain Morrisons’ Bradford, northern England, headquarters and its existing management team led by Chief Executive David Potts and execute its existing strategy.

The Fortress consortium includes Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Koch Real Estate Investments and Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund GIC.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less