Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Charity investor sues Indian cricket tycoon Lalit Modi

Charity investor sues Indian cricket tycoon Lalit Modi

LALIT Modi, the Indian cricket administrator who is sought for questioning in India over money-laundering allegations, is facing a legal challenge worth about £5 million in the high court in the UK.

The 55-year-old, who is known to be the founder of the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket tournament, has been accused of convincing investors to put large amounts into a cancer treatment venture by falsely naming prominent royals, including Prince Andrew, as the scheme’s patrons. According to a report in The Sunday Times, none was aware that they were listed as supporters or had been approached by Modi. The cricket tycoon has denied the allegations.


The legal claim has been brought by Gurpreet Gill Maag, an Indian former model and Singapore-based venture capitalist, also known as Blu. According to her, Modi had persuaded her to invest $2 million (£1.4 million) in the Ion Care venture during a meeting at her suite at a hotel in Dubai in 2018. The meeting was also attended by her banker husband Daniel.

Modi tried to set to up a global network of cancer centres utilising the revolutionary single-dose radiotherapy that had been used on his wife Mrinal, at a clinic in Portugal. She passed away in December 2018. According to Maag, Modi told her that the treatment had given her some more years of life.

Modi produced investor document with big names to push his plan

Modi, who moved to London in 2010 after scandals rocked the IPL, allegedly produced an investor document to push his sales pitch. The document, which has been seen by The Sunday Times, listed as patrons, besides Andrew, late United Nations secretary general Kofi Annan, King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain, Princess Haya bint Hussein of Jordan and deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan, who is also the owner of the Manchester City Football Club.

GettyImages 802031264 Prince Andrew, the Duke of York  (Photo Mark Richards - WPA Pool / Getty Images)

Maag alleged that Modi spoke highly about Prince Andrew and described him as “a very dear friend” of his and that he would introduce them to the royal member over dinner the next time they were in London.

The investor also said that former prime minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra was also named separately by Modi as investors. It has also been alleged that sports starts like Roger Federer and Cristiano Ronaldo had “agreed in principle” to act as unpaid brand ambassadors to Ion Care in lieu of free treatments to charities they back although both were unaware of the Indian businessman’s actions.

“I was very impressed with the people he had managed to pull in and it seemed to be a noble endeavour,” Maag was quoted as saying by The Times.

The project flopped in 2019 and Maag, who is represented by Matthew Evans, a senior lawyer at Reynolds Porter Chamberlain law firm, is suing Modi for about £5 million. The sum includes “loss of opportunity” to cover the amount she could have made had she invested the money in some other venture. The case is set to go to trial early in 2022.

A statement from Modi’s lawyers said: “Unfortunately, despite successfully treating a number of patients, the project was not able to obtain sufficient funding and the company went into liquidation.”

Modi denies allegations

“Mr Modi denies the allegations made by Mrs Maag and is defending the claim in full. The matter will be decided by the High Court in due course and Mr Modi is not able to comment further at this time. Mr Modi confirms that no criminal charges have been levelled in any Indian court against him by any of the Indian authorities,” it added.

In filings at the High Court in Modi’s defence, he has argued that “the personalities mentioned were illustrative of the kinds of person [he] envisaged in the role of patron” and that he “intended to approach some or all of those people with a view to inviting them to participate” in Ion Care, The Times report added.

A spokesperson for Prince Andrew, who has been embroiled in another high-profile controversy related to his alleged links with late American paedophile financer and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, who is facing child-sex trafficking charges in a court in New York, said he has “never been a patron of Ion Care and had no knowledge of its existence”.

This case could bring the spotlight back on Britain’s alleged openness to provide shelter to wealthy businessmen from South Asia, by potentially allowing them to evade justice in their home countries.

Modi, who says he left India because of death threats, is being investigated by Indian authorities who would like to see him getting extradited to his home country. Modi, who is known to lavish life in the UK, though says that he hasn’t done anything wrong and claims no criminal charges have been brought against him in India.

More For You

modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Asian drug dealer known as 'starkcake' jailed for 18 years

Heemal Vaid (Photo: NCA)

Asian drug dealer known as 'starkcake' jailed for 18 years

A 49-year-old Asian drug dealer who masterminded the import and sale of cocaine and heroin worth more than £4 million has been jailed for 18 years, after National Crime Agency (NCA) investigators identified him from secret phone messages.

British Indian Heemal Vaid, of Cheam, used EncroChat – an encrypted phone service for criminals – to broker deals, unaware that in 2020, an international law enforcement team would crack EncroChat’s encryption.

Keep ReadingShow less
Metropolitan Police

The Met said it would not be making redundancies but would achieve savings by reducing recruitment and not replacing those who leave.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Met Police to cut 1,700 jobs amid £260m budget shortfall

THE METROPOLITAN POLICE has announced plans to cut 1,700 officers, PCSOs, and staff due to a £260 million budget deficit.

The force will also scale back several services, including the removal of the Royal Parks Police team and officers stationed in schools.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

The country can expect more heatwave days this year

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

INDIA can expect hotter-thanusual temperatures this summer with more heatwave days taking a toll on lives and livelihoods, the weather office warned.

The country is no stranger to scorching summers, but years of scientific research has found climate change is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

Keep ReadingShow less