Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Chhetri passes Messi as India shock Thailand 4-1 at Asian Cup

Sunil Chhetri overtook Lionel Messi in international goals as cricket-mad India stunned Thailand 4-1 at the Asian Cup football tournament on Sunday, the veteran striker scoring twice in their Group A opener to surpass the Barcelona superstar.

Watched by the 12 Thai schoolboys rescued from a flooded jungle cave last year after being trapped for more than two weeks, the War Elephants had little answer to India's brimming energy in Abu Dhabi.


Chhetri moved past Argentine Messi's 65 international goals when he opened the scoring from the penalty spot after 27 minutes in a surprise rout. Only Cristiano Ronaldo (85) tops the Indian among active players.

"I'm just happy for the boys -- you could see on the faces how jubilant they were after the game," said 34-year-old Chhetri.

"The India fans were amazing so we hope we can go on and give them something more to cheer about."

The Blue Tigers were in front for just seven minutes, Thai captain Teerasil Dangda restoring parity by bravely heading home a Theerathon Bunmathan free kick.

But Chhetri came to the rescue by drilling home his second of the game moments into the second half following a lung-bursting run down the right from Udanta Singh.

Things got worse for Thailand when Anirudh Thapa chipped in a third in the 68th minute before substitute Lalpekhlua Jeje completed the rout to leave India as unlikely group leaders.

"Did I expect to win 4-1? No, but we're not getting carried away," insisted India coach Stephen Constantine.

"It's just another game. There will be no issue with keeping the boys' feet on the ground, don't worry about that."

The Englishman, formerly in charge of Malawi, Sudan and Rwanda, has clashed with senior players and sparked dismay in India by stripping Chhetri of the captaincy.

"There's no controversy about rotating captains!" he snapped when quizzed by Indian media.

"I've done it for four years. Chhetri gives everything every game he plays whether he's captain or not."

- 'Totally deserved' -

India finished runners-up on their Asian Cup debut in 1964 when it was a four-team competition won by Israel.

But they had lost six of their last seven games at the regional tournament, conceding 20 goals, before qualifying for the fourth time and first since 2011.

"If I say it's just another result would that be a cliche?" said Constantine.

"We've won one game, got three points. We have two more games, that's it."

Thailand, appearing for the since co-hosting the tournament in 2007, have now won just one of 21 games at the Asian Cup.

Thailand coach Milovan Rajevac made no excuses for this side's humiliating defeat.

"India totally deserved to win," said the Serb. "We didn't underestimate them. They were aggressive and fought for everything. But it's just one game. We have two more left so we have to learn from our mistakes and go again."

Hosts United Arab Emirates were held 1-1 by Bahrain in Saturday's curtain-raiser.

More For You

Laapata Ladies

Kiran Rao’s critically acclaimed film is now under fire after a viral video compared its plot to Burqa City

Instagram

'Laapata Ladies' makers accused of plagiarism as similarity with Arab film 'Burqa City' surface

Kiran Rao’s Laapataa Ladies, which received critical acclaim and was selected as India’s official entry for the 2025 Oscars, is now facing accusations of plagiarism. A viral video circulating on social media has drawn comparisons between Rao’s film and Burqa City, a 2019 Arabic short film by French filmmaker Fabrice Bracq.

What’s the controversy?

Keep ReadingShow less
UK Introduces Digital Entry Permit for European Visitors

The ETA can be purchased online for £10 (12 euros), but the cost will rise to £16 from 9 April. (Representational image: Reuters)

Reuters

European visitors to UK will now need digital entry permit

FROM WEDNESDAY, European visitors to the UK will need an online entry permit as part of new travel requirements introduced by the British government.

The Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA), a digital permit, will be required for travellers from Europe. UK officials say the move aims to enhance border security and simplify entry procedures.

Keep ReadingShow less
Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor

Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor urges Bollywood to move beyond its obsession with superstars and focus on strong storytelling

"Bollywood is stuck in the 1980s": Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor slams industry’s obsession with stars & big-budget flops

Bollywood has been grappling with an identity crisis, with many questioning whether the industry's golden era is over. A recent social media debate reignited the discussion, claiming that the industry is in decline due to the absence or sporadic appearances of major stars like Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, and Shah Rukh Khan. Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, actor and son of Anil Kapoor, responded with a sharp critique of Bollywood’s over-reliance on big-budget, star-driven films, arguing that it is time for a shift toward strong storytelling.

A user on X posted, "Bollywood is finished. Salman doesn’t want to act, Aamir has no films, Akshay has a dozen films but none that matter, SRK does a film every two years, and Ajay is playing it safe. Ranbir Kapoor seems like the only one carrying the industry forward."

Keep ReadingShow less
China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

Xi Jinping

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

THE Chinese president, Xi Jinping, last Friday (28) pledged deeper cooperation with his Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad Yunus in a meeting that came as Dhaka seeks new friends to offset frosty ties with India.

Yunus took charge of Bangladesh last August after the toppling of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to New Delhi after a student-led uprising.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less