Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Church of England must act "urgently" on racial inequality, report says

Church of England must act "urgently" on racial inequality, report says

A TASKFORCE commissioned by the archbishops of Canterbury and York has cautioned the Church of England that failing to implement change to achieve greater racial justice and equality could be the “last straw” for many clergy and ethnic minority worshippers.

Published on Thursday (22), the From Lament to Action report warned the archbishops that a lack of change could have “devastating effects” on the future of the Church. It warned that decades of inaction “carried consequences, and this inaction must be owned by the whole Church”.


As of last month, there were only five of bishops from a UKME/GMH (United Kingdom Minority Ethnic/ Global Majority Heritage) background out of a total of 111. The number of UKME/GMH deans, archdeacons, and senior staff in the National Church Institutions only adds up to a further nine people, the report said.

“A failure to act now will be seen as another indication, potentially a last straw for many, that the Church is not serious about racial sin,” the report said. “Disregarding a significant part of the population, and thus denying the gifts they bring for the service of the Church, is a loss to us all.”

The archbishops’ anti-racism taskforce was set up last year by the archbishops of Canterbury and York to ensure changes were made to achieve greater racial justice and equality in the Church of England.

LEAD Church of England INSET Revd Arun Arora The anti-racism taskforce is jointly chaired by Revd Arun Arora, a vicar in the diocese of Durham

The taskforce’s co-chair Revd Arun Arora said the proposals could help the church to achieve “cultural and structural change”, if implemented.

“It will enable the Church of England to recover its prophetic voice in the area of racial justice, to the benefits of both the church and the nation,” said Arora on Wednesday (21), during a media briefing attended by Eastern Eye. “It will be my hope that this report will be a watershed moment in the church's journey towards racial justice.”

Fellow co-chair Revd Sonia Barron said the need for implementing action for change was urgent. “We cannot let this moment pass,” she said. “I ask the question - if not now, when?”

The report sets out 47 recommendations across five priority areas: participation, governance, training, education, and young people.

Recommendations include an expectation that shortlists for jobs in the Church will include at least one appointable UKME candidate; recruitment bodies to provide “valid, publishable reasons” for failure to include UKME candidates on shortlists; and the appointment of full-time Racial Justice Officers (RJOs) in every religious jurisdiction.

In putting the report together, the taskforce said they considered 25 reports from the mid-80s onwards with a total of more than 160 recommendations. “Since then, the Church of England has considered motion after motion, debate after debate, yet we still find ourselves in the position where – throughout our life as a church – the flourishing of UKME/GMH Anglicans is hard to discern,” they said.

In response to the report, the archbishops’ welcomed the taskforce’s recommendations and said they would commit to implementing five of the proposals immediately.

“We hope we will be the generation to halt this cycle of inaction,” they said. We pray for the wisdom, courage and grace to be leaders who will bring real change.”

It is estimated that people from UKME and GMH backgrounds make up 15 per cent of those who worship in the Church of England.

More For You

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

Foreign Office minister Catherine West, health secretary Wes Streeting and equalities minister Seema Malhotra during the Holi Reception in London.

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

THE recent health and life sciences agreement between the UK and India will strengthen cooperation on healthcare innovation and security in both countries, health secretary Wes Streeting said.

Speaking at the Holi reception organised by the 1928 Institute, who are the secretariat for the India All-Party Parliamentary Group, in London on Monday (24), he added that the contribution of British Indians has been pivotal in the growth of the NHS since its inception in 1948, and a robust partnership between the two nations will ensure we have a healthcare provider 'fit for the future'.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-steel-iStock

An aerial view of Steel Plant Industry in Scunthorpe. (Photo: iStock)

British Steel to shut blast furnaces, up to 2,700 jobs at risk

BRITISH STEEL, owned by Chinese group Jingye, confirmed on Thursday that it will shut down its blast furnaces and steelmaking operations in England, attributing the decision to market challenges, tariffs, and rising environmental costs.

The closures, first proposed in late 2023, could lead to the loss of up to 2,700 jobs at the company’s main UK site in Scunthorpe, northern England, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Keep ReadingShow less
Just Stop Oil

Just Stop Oil has garnered significant media attention with its direct action protests

Getty Images

Just Stop Oil ends direct action campaign after major policy success

The environmental activist group Just Stop Oil has announced an end to its disruptive direct action protests, declaring a significant victory in its campaign to halt new oil and gas developments. In a statement released by the organisation, the group confirmed it had successfully influenced government policy to abandon new fossil fuel exploration, marking a major turning point in the movement’s goals.

“Just Stop Oil's initial demand to end new oil and gas is now government policy, making us one of the most successful civil resistance campaigns in recent history,” the group’s statement read. It went on to claim responsibility for having kept over 4.4 billion barrels of oil in the ground, while legal victories in the courts have ruled new oil and gas licences unlawful.

Keep ReadingShow less
submarine-crash-reuters

People walk next to an ambulance in front of the hospital where the bodies of foreigners who were killed when a tourist submarine sank off Egypt's Red Sea resort city of Hurghada, and whose nationalities are still unknown, are kept. (Photo: Reuters)

Six foreign tourists die after submarine sinks off Egypt’s Red Sea coast

SIX tourists died on Thursday when a submarine carrying visitors sank near Hurghada, a resort city on Egypt’s Red Sea coast, state media reported.

According to the state-owned Akhbar Al-Youm newspaper, all the deceased were foreigners. The report also said 19 others were injured in the incident.

Keep ReadingShow less
EU Warns Citizens to Stockpile Essentials Amid War Concerns

Not all EU countries currently have the same level of preparedness

Getty Images

European Union urges citizens to stockpile food and supplies amid risk of war

The European Union (EU) has advised its 450 million citizens to stockpile essential items, including food and water, to prepare for potential emergencies. This call to action is part of a broader strategy to improve disaster preparedness across the 27-nation bloc, as it faces increasing risks from war, cyberattacks, climate change, and public health crises.

The EU’s recommendation comes in light of recent global developments that have raised concerns about security and stability. Citizens are encouraged to have enough food, water, medicine, and other essential supplies to last at least 72 hours during a crisis.

Keep ReadingShow less