Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Claudia Webbe MP says Leicester violence left people traumatised

Police deny having supported an unplanned protest on Saturday

Claudia Webbe MP says Leicester violence left people traumatised

While calm has been restored in Leicester amid “proactive patrols”, local MP Claudia Webbe has said people in her constituency left traumatised by the recent violence are too “scared” to go out.

Community tensions in the English city, apparently sparked by a cricket match between India and Pakistan in Dubai last month, escalated over the weekend leading to 47 arrests and two convictions for possessing offensive weapons.

Webbe said “people have told me they haven’t left their homes” since the confrontation began following the August 28 T20 match between the two Asian rivals.

She told the Independent that the city’s residents, “particularly women and young people, “are petrified, (and) very scared”.

“They are being asked to be fearful of their neighbours, people they’ve grown up with side by side for decades,” the MP for Leicester East said and quoted factory workers as saying they “downed tools to go home and protect their families.”

Leicestershire Police’s temporary chief constable Rob Nixon also admitted locals “have been afraid”. But he asserted that his officers had taken “robust action” to deal with the “small number” of people who “have tried to cause division, have committed crimes, and seek disorder.”

In an open letter posted on Twitter on Wednesday, Nixon vehemently denied the police had supported the unplanned protest in East Leicester on Saturday.

Media reports said the protest on that day involved some 300 Hindu men who initially marched towards the Highfields, an area known for having a high proportion of Muslim population.

As another group also descended on the scene, police issued a dispersal order.

Video footage on social media showed a few police officers walking beside the protesters who marched down Green Lane Road. It led to the accusations that the police allowed the protest to go ahead.


Nixon said, “I am making clear that police did not support an unplanned protest in East Leicester”.

As there was “no direct intelligence” about the extent of the crowd, police officers went there “to try to engage and seek co-operation,” he said.

“They were confronted by in excess of 300 people and there were eight officers at the time,” he said and reiterated that the personnel “did the best they could in the circumstances by staying with them until more officers could arrive.”

He said officers also dealt with those who had posted on social media that they planned to come from Birmingham to Leicester.

He said the force was aware of a video showing a flag being pulled down outside a religious building on Melton Road in the city on Saturday.

He said police officers could not reach the troublemaker on the building as they were “dealing with a large crowd directly in front of them at the time”.

Investigation into the violence continued, he said and hinted at more arrests.

More For You

Sanger-Tribute

Indian high commissioner Vikram Doraiswami speaking at the memorial.

Bhavan London pays tribute to Joginder Sanger

BHAVAN LONDON held a tribute event on 27 March to honour Joginder Sanger, a British Indian hotelier and philanthropist who passed away at 82 on 28 February.

Sanger, born in Jalandhar, India, established several London hotels, including the Washington Mayfair Hotel, Courthouse Hotels in Soho and Shoreditch, and the Bentley in Kensington.

Keep ReadingShow less
Imran-Khan-Getty

Imran Khan, founder of the opposition Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, has been in jail since August 2023. (Photo: Getty)

Former Pakistan prime minister Imran Khan nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

FORMER Pakistan prime minister Imran Khan has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his work on human rights and democracy.

The nomination was announced by members of the Pakistan World Alliance (PWA), an advocacy group formed in December, who are also part of the Norwegian political party Partiet Sentrum.

Keep ReadingShow less
Voices of Faith - Day 2: A profound confluence of spirituality, music, and dialogue

Barnaby Rogerson in conversation with Anthony Sattin (L) on day 2 of Voices of Faith

Voices of Faith - Day 2: A profound confluence of spirituality, music, and dialogue

Mahesh Liloriya

The second day of Voices of Faith unfolded with an enchanting blend of music, philosophy, and intellectual exploration at the Barbican Centre, London. This inaugural festival, curated by Teamwork Arts—the force behind the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) and JLF London—has been made possible by the Kamini and Vindi Banga Family Trust, with the support of Tech Mahindra. Eastern Eye and Garavi Gujarat serve as the official media partners, amplifying the festival’s reach and resonance.

Session 1- Echoes of eternity: The timeless notes of Kabir

Keep ReadingShow less
starmer-immigration

Speaking at the Organised Immigration Crime Summit, Starmer said the government is working to restore order to the immigration system.

UK returns 24,000 illegal migrants since July, highest in eight years

THE UK government has returned over 24,000 individuals with no legal right to remain in the country since July, marking the highest rate of removals in eight years, prime minister Keir Starmer said on Monday.

Speaking at the Organised Immigration Crime Summit, Starmer said the government is working to restore order to the immigration system.

Keep ReadingShow less
'Aga Khan dedicated his life to service, peace, and pluralism'

Baroness Patricia Scotland speaks at an Iftar dinner held at the Ismaili Centre in London (Photo: The Ismaili National Council for the United Kingdom)

'Aga Khan dedicated his life to service, peace, and pluralism'

THE outgoing head of the Commonwealth has paid tribute to the late Prince Karim Aga Khan, describing him as a visionary leader whose lifelong dedication to service, peace, and pluralism has left a lasting impact on the world.

Speaking at an Iftar dinner held at the Ismaili Centre in London last Wednesday (26), Baroness Patricia Scotland, who steps down as Commonwealth secretary general on 1 April, reflected on her personal connection with the Aga Khan, recalling their meetings during Commonwealth Day celebrations at Westminster Abbey.

Keep ReadingShow less