Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Commodity price slump hits Vedanta Resources

LOWER commodity prices have hit profits of Anil Agarwal’s mining conglomerate.

Agarwal-led Vedanta Resources recorded a decline in earnings before interest, depreciation, taxation and amortisation fell 19 per cent to $1.4 billion in the six months to September.


The company’s revenues fell five per cent to $6.1bn, as commodity prices recorded a slump.

Vedanta said that profits in its largest business, zinc, fell by 20 per cent to $479 million during the half-year ended September.

The average zinc prices are down 10 per cent year on year.

Aluminium business recorded a $109m loss from a $118m profit a year earlier, while the prices recorded a decline of 18 per cent year on year.

Meanwhile, oil and gas profits edged higher two per cent to $249m.

Responding to the financial results, Vedanta said it had delivered a strong operational performance in a challenging environment.

It added: “The company continues to focus on controllable factors such as cost optimisation, marketing initiatives and volume.”

The latest half-year financial results exclude Vedanta’s Zambian copper venture, Konkola Copper Mines (KCM), which is subject to an ownership dispute with the Zambian government.

London-based Vedanta is the majority owner of Zambia's largest copper mining firm KCM, which has been at the centre of a standoff with the government.

The state-owned ZCCM-IH is a minority shareholder in KCM.

Zambia is Africa's second-largest copper-producing country after the Democratic Republic of Congo, and the sector is a major employer.

Vedanta Resources has operations in India, Africa, and Australia, employing 65,000 people.

The company listed in London in 2003 but is controlled by Agarwal, 65.

In 2018, Volcan Investments, his family trust, bought back the listed third of its shares.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less