Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Concern over the future of Port Talbot plant as Tata Steel announces 'self-sustaining' plans

INDIA-BASED Tata Steel has said that the company plans to separate the UK and Netherlands arms of the business and keep the Port Talbot-based British business running without financial support from India.

Responding to the plan, Wales' economy minister Ken Skates said that it is 'extremely worrying' for Tata's 8,000 UK workers.


"The first minister is seeking urgent talks with the prime minister and I will speak to the secretary of state for BEIS (business, energy and industrial strategy) and the secretary of state for Wales to call for urgent action," Skates told the BBC.

"The industry is now waiting for the UK government to take immediate action to safeguard the sector and protect jobs."

According to the company, Swedish steel firm SSAB had initiated talks about the acquisition of its business in the Netherlands, including its steelworks at Ijmuiden, north-west of Amsterdam.

"This is a commercial decision for Tata Steel. We will continue to work with Tata Steel and other stakeholders as the company shapes its business strategy for the future. The UK government remains committed to supporting a sustainable, long-term future for steel making in the UK," the UK government said as reported by the BBC.

T V Narendran, CEO and managing director of Tata, said: "We are continuing our discussions with the UK government regarding the future strategy of our UK business."

About half of Tata's 8,000 UK workers are based at Port Talbot, with several other sites around Wales and the rest of the UK.

"Once again our steelworkers are facing challenging times following this news. Almost five years ago they and their families went through hell as their livelihoods came under threat with the then announcement of a proposed sale of the Tata steel plants in Wales," tweeted David Rees, the Labour MS for Aberavon.

Tony Brady, from the Unite union, said it was "essential" that Tata is able to keep trading with the EU after the end of the Brexit transition period on 31 December.

"Today's news effectively means that Tata's European steel business will now be based solely in the UK. With Brexit fast approaching it is essential that Tata's UK steel business is able to continue trading effectively across the EU," he said.

Roy Rickhuss, the general secretary of the Community Union, said Tata must now "reaffirm their commitment to the UK".

"There is no doubt a sustainable future for Tata Steel UK depends on Tata and the government concluding a deal that will support the transition to low-carbon steelmaking," he said.

The GMB union said it was "clear" that "manufacturers are expecting the UK to plot a different path from our European neighbours".

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less