Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Conservative Party Vice Chairman Rehman Chishti Quits Over Brexit Deal, Asia Bibi's Asylum Case

Mounting further pressure on British prime minister Theresa May, Gillingham and Rainham MP, Rehman Chishti has resigned on Thursday (15) as Conservative party junior vice chairman and prime minister’s trade envoy to Pakistan.

Two reasons -  the draft agreement prepared for leaving the EU as well as the UK's handling of Asia Bibi's asylum case - have forced him to resign as Conservative Party vice chair, Chishti said.


Now, Chishti is the fifth leading British politician to leave Theresa May’s team after Suella Braverman, work and pensions secretary Esther McVey, Brexit secretary Dominic Raab and Northern Ireland minister Shailesh Vara all left on Thursday morning as the list of Conservative resignations continues.

“My letter of resignation sent to PM @theresa_may stepping down as Vice Chairman @Conservatives & PM Trade Envoy to Pakistan. 1. Cannot support Draft EU Withdrawal Agreement. 2. Very disappointed by lack of leadership shown by UK Gov to do morally right thing in Asia Bibi Case”, tweeted Chishti on his resignation.

“…It would not be appropriate for me to continue in these roles, which I very much enjoy, as it would require me to advocate for a position which I feel is contrary to our firm manifesto commitment which I stood for when elected in 2017, and have publically advocated for since,” Rehman Chishti said in his letter to the prime minister May.

Chishti is the third Asian origin to leave Theresa May’s team. Earlier, Shailesh Vara and Suella Braverman left May’s team.

Earlier, Northern Ireland minister Shailesh Vara, who backed remain in the EU referendum, has quit prime minister Theresa May’s government, highlighting the challenge she faces in winning parliament’s backing for her draft Brexit deal.

Suella Braverman resigned as a Brexit minister. She said that she was "unable to sincerely support the deal agreed yesterday by Cabinet".

More For You

 ISKCON's UK birthplace

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace

iskconnews

ISKCON reclaims historic London birthplace for £1.6 million after 56 years

Highlights

  • ISKCON London acquires 7 Bury Place, its first UK temple site opened in 1969, for £1.6 million at auction.
  • Five-storey building near British Museum co-signed by Beatle George Harrison who helped fund original lease.
  • Site to be transformed into pilgrimage centre commemorating ISKCON's pioneering work in the UK.
ISKCON London has successfully reacquired 7 Bury Place, the original site of its first UK temple, at auction for £1.6 m marking what leaders call a "full-circle moment" for the Krishna consciousness movement in Britain.

The 221 square metre freehold five-storey building near the British Museum, currently let to a dental practice, offices and a therapist, was purchased using ISKCON funds and supporter donations. The organisation had been searching for properties during its expansion when the historically significant site became available.

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace. In 1968, founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada sent three American couples to establish a base in England. The six devotees initially struggled in London's cold, using a Covent Garden warehouse as a temporary temple.

Keep ReadingShow less