Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Court allows survey of disputed mosque in India’s Varanasi

There should be no digging as part of the exercise, says Allahabad High Court

Court allows survey of disputed mosque in India’s Varanasi

AN Indian court has allowed a “detailed scientific survey” to determine if a 17th-century mosque was built upon a temple in Varanasi.

The Allahabad High Court dismissed a petition challenging a lower court order directing the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to survey the Gyanvapi mosque.

Many Hindus believe the mosque, located next to the Kashi Vishwanath temple, had been built on a Hindu temple on the orders of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb.

The area is part of the parliamentary constituency represented by prime minister Narendra Modi.

The Anjuman Intezamia Masjid committee, which manages the mosque, had moved the high court on July 25 challenging the Varanasi district court’s order.

But the high court on Thursday (3) said a survey of the disputed premises is “just and proper” and “no interference” is warranted.

Citing the ASI's assurance that the survey will not cause any damage to the structure, it asserted that there should be no digging as part of the exercise.

According to advocate Vishnu Shankar Jain who represented Hindu petitioners, the high court ruling meant the district court's order on the survey would become effective immediately.

However, the mosque's 'wazukhana', where Hindu litigants claim a 'Shivling' exists, will not be part of the survey - following an earlier Supreme Court order protecting the spot in the complex.

The case came up after five Hindu women sought permission to perform rituals in one part of the mosque, where, they said, a Hindu temple once stood.

It followed a Supreme Court permission in 2019 to build a temple in Ayodhya - also in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh - where Babri Masjid was demolished in 1992.

(With inputs from PTI)

More For You

 ISKCON's UK birthplace

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace

iskconnews

ISKCON reclaims historic London birthplace for £1.6 million after 56 years

Highlights

  • ISKCON London acquires 7 Bury Place, its first UK temple site opened in 1969, for £1.6 million at auction.
  • Five-storey building near British Museum co-signed by Beatle George Harrison who helped fund original lease.
  • Site to be transformed into pilgrimage centre commemorating ISKCON's pioneering work in the UK.
ISKCON London has successfully reacquired 7 Bury Place, the original site of its first UK temple, at auction for £1.6 m marking what leaders call a "full-circle moment" for the Krishna consciousness movement in Britain.

The 221 square metre freehold five-storey building near the British Museum, currently let to a dental practice, offices and a therapist, was purchased using ISKCON funds and supporter donations. The organisation had been searching for properties during its expansion when the historically significant site became available.

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace. In 1968, founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada sent three American couples to establish a base in England. The six devotees initially struggled in London's cold, using a Covent Garden warehouse as a temporary temple.

Keep ReadingShow less