Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Covid hero who was honoured by Queen faces deportation to India

Vimal Pandya had travelled to the UK from India in 2011 on a study visa but his college's right to sponsor foreign students was revoked by the home office three years later, leaving his future in a spot of bother.

Covid hero who was honoured by Queen faces deportation to India

He was once honoured by late Queen Elizabeth II for supporting 50 families with free food during the Covid-19-induced lockdown but for 42-year-old Vimal Pandya, the world has come crashing down as he is faced with deportation to native India within weeks as his appeal to stay back has been rejected.

Pandya had travelled to the UK from India in 2011 on a study visa but his college's right to sponsor foreign students was revoked by the home office three years later, leaving his future in a spot of bother, Daily Mail reported.


However, he did not give up and spent thousands of pounds in the last nine years fighting to stay back in the UK. As Covid-19 pandemic broke out during this time, the shopkeeper turned into a pillar of the community despite facing the deportation threat and during the first lockdown, helped more than 50 families with not just free food but also emotional support.

The efforts of Pandya, who lives in Rotherhithe in south London, were recognised by Sir Kenneth Olisa, the personal representative of the late Queen in Greater London, who even wrote to the former on behalf of Her Majesty to thank him.

"It has come to my attention that you are one of those people who have gone above and beyond the call of duty to help others during the Covid-19 pandemic," wrote Sir Kenneth.

"I am therefore writing to personally thank you for all of your efforts and to encourage you to continue making a positive difference to Londoners," he added.

But it seems Pandya's good deeds have not been adequate to protect him from getting deported. He has just a few weeks before being forced to fly back to his native country after a tribunal hearing ruled that the 'public interest in immigration control' outweighs his position with a judge ruling that he has been working in the UK "illegally" for a long time.

However, Pandya has found many sympathisers. Members from his local community as well people across the country have strongly expressed disappointment over the home office's decision. Hundreds have also come out demonstrating to support Pandya and an online petition to reinstate his visa has gained more than 175,000 signatures, the Daily Mail report said.

Pandya himself has been spending sleepless nights over the situation.

Speaking about the situation last year, he told Daily Mail, "I can't sleep at night because of this endless torture and misery. They can deport me at any time and send me back home - it's really scary."

Originally a stockbroker, he gained a student visa 12 years ago by enrolling in a management course with a college which went out of business following the payment of fees.

He was then informed by the home office that he had to find a higher education institute to sponsor his visa within 60 days or else, he would face deportation.

Pandya found himself to be second-time unlucky despite finding another college willing to sponsor his visa. After a return trip to India in 2014, he was told by the Border Force officials that the college had lost its right to sponsorship and the ghost of deportation loomed large again.

Pandya, who claimed that neither the college nor the home office informed him of the situation, was quoted as saying, "I have worked very hard to survive in this world. Altogether I have spent £42,000 on legal fees. Even criminals don't have to spend that much."

Pandya tried to challenge the deportation notice but in vain. He argued that it breached his rights to a private life but the home office rejected it.

He also appealed the verdict at a tribunal hearing in Hatton Cross in south-west London on January 13 but Judge Adrian Seelhoff turned it down.

Speaking at the tribunal, the judge said, "The appellant has made an exceptional contribution in the UK being an overwhelmingly positive factor in the lives of hundreds of individuals and families in the UK.

"Against that, the appellant has done this as someone who was admitted as a student with no expectation of ever having been allowed to live here permanently.

"The appellant's leave to remain was properly cancelled and he was given fair opportunities to seek an alternate college.

'The appellant then went underground and made no attempt to regularise his status and worked illegally for many years after his right to remain in the UK came to an end in 2014.

"Considering all the factors in this case in the round and despite the Appellant's impressive achievements I am not satisfied that they outweigh the public interest in immigration control when viewed in the context of a full and informed assessment of all the facts of the case.

"As a consequence I dismiss the appeal."

It is understood that Pandya has at most 28 days from the date of the verdict (January 24) to decide whether he wishes to challenge the judge's decision.

After that, he will be at risk of removal by the home office.

"I have been here 11 years, which is nothing by the Home Office's standards, but it is everything to me," he was quoted as saying by the news outlet.

"I love being here and I love the people around me. I've connected with this environment. I know this community. I have seen people grow up in front of me and I know which families need support."

He said what he has faced is unfair but he would not give up.

More For You

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

Foreign Office minister Catherine West, health secretary Wes Streeting and equalities minister Seema Malhotra during the Holi Reception in London.

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

THE recent health and life sciences agreement between the UK and India will strengthen cooperation on healthcare innovation and security in both countries, health secretary Wes Streeting said.

Speaking at the Holi reception organised by the India All-Party Parliamentary Group and the 1928 Institute in London on Monday (24), he added that the contribution of British Indians has been pivotal in the growth of the NHS since its inception in 1948, and a robust partnership between the two nations will ensure we have a healthcare provider 'fit for the future'.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-steel-iStock

An aerial view of Steel Plant Industry in Scunthorpe. (Photo: iStock)

British Steel to shut blast furnaces, up to 2,700 jobs at risk

BRITISH STEEL, owned by Chinese group Jingye, confirmed on Thursday that it will shut down its blast furnaces and steelmaking operations in England, attributing the decision to market challenges, tariffs, and rising environmental costs.

The closures, first proposed in late 2023, could lead to the loss of up to 2,700 jobs at the company’s main UK site in Scunthorpe, northern England, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Keep ReadingShow less
Just Stop Oil

Just Stop Oil has garnered significant media attention with its direct action protests

Getty Images

Just Stop Oil ends direct action campaign after major policy success

The environmental activist group Just Stop Oil has announced an end to its disruptive direct action protests, declaring a significant victory in its campaign to halt new oil and gas developments. In a statement released by the organisation, the group confirmed it had successfully influenced government policy to abandon new fossil fuel exploration, marking a major turning point in the movement’s goals.

“Just Stop Oil's initial demand to end new oil and gas is now government policy, making us one of the most successful civil resistance campaigns in recent history,” the group’s statement read. It went on to claim responsibility for having kept over 4.4 billion barrels of oil in the ground, while legal victories in the courts have ruled new oil and gas licences unlawful.

Keep ReadingShow less
submarine-crash-reuters

People walk next to an ambulance in front of the hospital where the bodies of foreigners who were killed when a tourist submarine sank off Egypt's Red Sea resort city of Hurghada, and whose nationalities are still unknown, are kept. (Photo: Reuters)

Six foreign tourists die after submarine sinks off Egypt’s Red Sea coast

SIX tourists died on Thursday when a submarine carrying visitors sank near Hurghada, a resort city on Egypt’s Red Sea coast, state media reported.

According to the state-owned Akhbar Al-Youm newspaper, all the deceased were foreigners. The report also said 19 others were injured in the incident.

Keep ReadingShow less
EU Warns Citizens to Stockpile Essentials Amid War Concerns

Not all EU countries currently have the same level of preparedness

Getty Images

European Union urges citizens to stockpile food and supplies amid risk of war

The European Union (EU) has advised its 450 million citizens to stockpile essential items, including food and water, to prepare for potential emergencies. This call to action is part of a broader strategy to improve disaster preparedness across the 27-nation bloc, as it faces increasing risks from war, cyberattacks, climate change, and public health crises.

The EU’s recommendation comes in light of recent global developments that have raised concerns about security and stability. Citizens are encouraged to have enough food, water, medicine, and other essential supplies to last at least 72 hours during a crisis.

Keep ReadingShow less