Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Crawley mayor Shahzad Malik steps down

Crawley mayor Shahzad Malik steps down

SHAHZAD Malik stepped down as the mayor of Crawley about seven weeks after his involvement in a road rage brawl.

His resignation came days before a vote of no confidence planned against him on Thursday (9) which has now been cancelled.


The Labour politician who also works as a taxi driver will, however, continue as a councillor.

He was elected mayor only in June.

Malik, who said he was resigning with “deep sadness” admitted that he was involved in the scuffle at the Tushmore roundabout in Crawley, West Sussex, on July 19, but insisted that he acted in “self-defence”.

A video showing Malik punching another taxi driver had gone viral soon after the incident, prompting the Conservative group of the borough council to call for his resignation.

"There is much I regret about that day, but I am not a violent man and at no point did I act other than in self-defence," the councillor for Langley Green and Tushmore ward said.

A police report had been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service for a decision as to whether there should be a prosecution, Sussex Police told the BBC.

The father of three said the police investigation after the scuffle forced him into “a period of silence”.

Confirming Malik’s resignation, a Crawley Borough Council spokesperson said deputy mayor Morgan Flack will discharge the main duties of the mayor till the municipal year ends in May.

Flack is also a Labour councillor.

More For You

Zhenhao Zou

Zhenhao Zou, 28, lived in south London and used online platforms and dating apps to meet women, according to London’s Metropolitan Police.

Reuters

More women come forward with allegations against serial rapist Zhenhao Zou

TWENTY-THREE additional women have contacted police with allegations against Zhenhao Zou, a Chinese PhD student convicted in London last month of drugging and raping 10 women.

At the time of his trial, police had video evidence suggesting up to 50 more victims and were working to identify them. Detectives now believe the number of his victims is higher than initially estimated.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK Introduces Digital Entry Permit for European Visitors

The ETA can be purchased online for £10 (12 euros), but the cost will rise to £16 from 9 April. (Representational image: Reuters)

Reuters

European visitors to UK will now need digital entry permit

FROM WEDNESDAY, European visitors to the UK will need an online entry permit as part of new travel requirements introduced by the British government.

The Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA), a digital permit, will be required for travellers from Europe. UK officials say the move aims to enhance border security and simplify entry procedures.

Keep ReadingShow less
China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

Xi Jinping

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

THE Chinese president, Xi Jinping, last Friday (28) pledged deeper cooperation with his Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad Yunus in a meeting that came as Dhaka seeks new friends to offset frosty ties with India.

Yunus took charge of Bangladesh last August after the toppling of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to New Delhi after a student-led uprising.

Keep ReadingShow less
Milton-Keynes

Eyewitnesses described hearing shouting before the shooting

iStock

Man shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes railway station

A MAN was shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes Central station after reports that he was carrying a firearm.

Thames Valley Police (TVP) said officers were called to the station at 12:55, where they challenged a suspect carrying a knife. The man moved towards officers before police fired at him.

Keep ReadingShow less
EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

SCRUTINY: The tribunal’s favourable verdict is an important win for accountability, say current and retired Asian judges (Pic credit: Getty Images/Leon Neal)

EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

A tribunal has ordered the body which appoints judges in England and Wales to disclose records it refused to give to Eastern Eye.

The decision is a major victory for press freedoms because it forces the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) to become more open and transparent.

Keep ReadingShow less