Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Shamima Begum says she fears for her life

DAESH bride Shamima Begum has once again requested to be allowed back into the UK saying she fears for her life at the al-Roj camp in Syria.

Begum said the camp is very tense and she keeps a bag packed at all times, ready to move fast "like in the early days" of Daesh.


"I am scared, really scared," Begum told The Times on Wednesday (23). "I am afraid I could die here. The camp is very tense. We don't know what is going on. When the Turkish offensive began many of the women here waited to take advantage of it to hurt those who had left ISIS."

Following a deal agreed on Tuesday between Turkey and Russia, Kurdish fighters have been asked to quickly withdraw from the Turkey-Syria border. The Kurdish forces have been guarding some 10,000 Daesh fighters and their families, and there are fears that their withdrawal would result in chaos, said the 19-year-old.

"There is the fear that if the Kurds leave there could be chaos here, anarchy, and that our lives would be at risk from dangerous people in this camp," Begum told The Times, adding, "There are some psychotic women in here."

The teenager said the only option she has is to go back to the UK, where she believes she could lead a normal life.

Begum's appeal comes just days after the Special Immigration Appeals Commission began hearing her case. Her lawyers have launched a bid to bring her back to Britain.

While Begum has repeatedly expressed a desire to return to return home, British home secretary Priti Patel said that was not an option.

Patel told The Sun last month: "Our job is to keep our country safe.

"We don't need people who have done harm and left our country to be part of a death cult and to perpetrate that ideology.

"We cannot have people who would do us harm allowed to enter our country - and that includes this woman.

"Everything I see in terms of security and intelligence, I am simply not willing to allow anybody who has been an active supporter or campaigner for IS in this country."

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less