Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Derby people smuggling gang leader, accomplices jailed  

A DERBY man has been jailed for coordinating a people-smuggling gang who couriered genuine British passports abroad to be used in illegal attempts to reach the UK.

Mohamed Jamal Kawsara, 39, was jailed for three years at Derby Crown Court after pleading guilty to assisting in illegal immigration at an earlier hearing.


His accomplices, Glen Szabo, 36, Ashley Henson, 29, Craig Edward Smedley 49, Pavandeep Singh, 41, were also sentenced.

The scam was exposed by Immigration Enforcement Criminal and Financial Investigations (CFI) department.

The investigation revealed that Kawsara, along with other gang members, flew to Greece as couriers, handing over genuine British passports to Syrian nationals who would then attempt to board flights to the UK as imposters.

If successful, the passport would either be destroyed or handed back to the courier on the aircraft.

After landing at a UK airport, the Syrian nationals would present themselves to Border Force and claim asylum.

Kawsara was arrested in 2015 at Birmingham Airport, having arrived from Kos on the same flight as a Syrian woman.

Investigators identified four other people smuggling attempts linked to Kawsara and the gang.

Phone records showed Kawsara was in contact with all the couriers to make arrangements for the smuggling of people.

Money transfers were identified between Kawsara and several of his ‘customers’, who were thought to be charged about £7,000 for his assistance.

Kawsara of Caernarvon Close, Spondon, Derby, admitted to five counts of assisting illegal immigration and was jailed for three years.

Ashley Henson of Ash Street, Derby, admitted to one count of assisting illegal immigration and was jailed for 20 months, suspended for 18 months, and given a community order for 100 hours of unpaid work.

Pavandeep Singh Dosanjh of Donington Drive, Derby, admitted to one count of assisting illegal immigration and was jailed for 18 months, suspended for 18 months, and given a community order for 100 hours of unpaid work.

Craig Smedley of High Street, Normanton, admitted to one count of assisting illegal immigration and was jailed for 18 months, suspended for 18 months, and given a community order for 100 hours of unpaid work.

Glenn Szabo of Millersdale Avenue, Mansfield, admitted to two counts of assisting illegal immigration and handed a 15 months jail sentence, suspended for 18 months.

Kawsara was also sentenced in relation to a separate case led by Derbyshire Police.

Kawsara had been found guilty of three counts for inciting a child to perform sexual activity and was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment, to run consecutively with the three-year sentence for the immigration offences.

A sexual harm prevention order was also imposed that will last for seven years.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less