Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Diageo’s India-born CEO Ivan Menezes to retire in June

Sir Menezes, an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Management-Ahmedabad, said he was “extremely proud� of what the company achieved during his time at the company

Diageo’s India-born CEO Ivan Menezes to retire in June

DIAGEO’S India-born CEO Sir Ivan Menezes will retire later this year, having led the spirit maker’s growth for 10 years.

Menezes, 63, will depart from the London-based company on June 30 and he will be succeeded by Debra Crew who is currently its chief operating officer, Diageo said in a statement on Tuesday (28).


Sir Ivan, a dual US-British citizen, joined the company in 1997 and held several senior positions overseeing its operations in the Americas and Asia Pacific. He became its executive director in 2012 and CEO a year later.

Diageo, whose popular brands include Guinness stout, Johnnie Walker whisky, Smirnoff vodka and Captain Morgan rum, said the FTSE100 company made “great strides” during his tenure.

“Diageo has grown significantly during this period… and is today the number one company by net sales value in Scotch whisky, vodka, gin, rum, Canadian whisky, liqueurs, and also tequila,” a category in which it had no substantive position eight years ago, it said.

It also credited the CEO with steering Diageo to a “leadership position” in sustainability.

Sir Ivan, an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad and Kellogg School of Management, said he was “extremely proud” of what the company achieved during his time at the company.

Diageo chairman Javier Ferrán said the CEO had transformed the spirit maker’s global footprint, brand portfolio and strategic focus, “positioning our business as a clear leader in premium drinks.”

“Ivan leaves Diageo extremely well positioned for future growth,” he said.

Sir Ivan spoke of his pride and honour in leading the company over the past decade.

“I am extremely proud of what we have achieved during that time, and I would like to thank my 28,000 talented colleagues around the world for all of their hard work, creativity and passion,” he added.

Under his leadership, Diageo grew into one of the world’s leading premium drinks company, accounting for 10 per cent (£2 billion) of the UK’s total food and drinks exports, according to the company.

It added that Sir Ivan championed women and ethnic diversity in business, with 47 per cent of Diageo’s executive committee being female and 47 per cent from an ethnic background.

Diageo’s share price has almost doubled on the London Stock Exchange since Sir Ivan took over as the CEO, but declined by about a per cent to 3,541.5p after the announcement of his retirement on Tuesday.

The executive, who was born in Pune, Maharashtra, was honoured with knighthood this year for his services to business and equality.

During the pandemic, Diageo supplied alcohol to make anti-bacterial hand sanitiser to boost stocks worldwide, mirroring other distilleries.

Crew, who will take over as the CEO on July 1, has been Diageo’s chief operating officer since October last year.

With the American executive's appointment to the role, the number of women CEOs running an FTSE 100 company will go up to 10.

She previously worked for PepsiCo, Kraft Foods, Nestlé and Mars, Inc.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less