Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nationwide doctors' strike in India over medic's rape and murder

The body of the 31-year-old doctor was discovered on August 9 at a state-run hospital in Kolkata, prompting protests in multiple cities across India.

Nationwide doctors' strike in India over medic's rape and murder

INDIAN doctors initiated a nationwide strike on Saturday in response to the rape and murder of a colleague, highlighting the ongoing issue of violence against women in the country.

The incident has sparked widespread outrage, with doctors and ordinary citizens alike demanding justice.


The body of the 31-year-old doctor was discovered on August 9 at a state-run hospital in Kolkata, prompting protests in multiple cities across India. Many of these protests were led by healthcare workers, but they were also joined by tens of thousands of other citizens.

In Kolkata, thousands participated in a candle-lit vigil that continued into the early hours of Saturday morning.

Protesters held signs with messages like "Hands that heal shouldn't bleed" and "Enough is enough." In New Delhi, doctors rallied with signs demanding justice, including calls to "Hang the rapist."

The doctor was found in the seminar hall of the teaching hospital, where it is believed she went to rest during a 36-hour shift.

An autopsy confirmed that she had been sexually assaulted. The victim's parents, in a petition to the court, expressed their suspicion that their daughter had been gang-raped.

One man, an employee at the hospital who assisted with crowd control, has been detained. However, Kolkata's police have faced criticism for their handling of the case, leading the city's High Court to transfer the investigation to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to "inspire public confidence."

Medical professionals in government hospitals across several states have halted elective services indefinitely, with support from multiple medical unions.

The Indian Medical Association (IMA) escalated the protests by calling for a 24-hour "nationwide withdrawal of services" and the suspension of all non-essential procedures.

"We ask for the understanding and support of the nation in this struggle for justice for its doctors and daughters," said IMA chief RV Asokan in a statement.

The IMA described the killing as "barbaric" and called for a thorough review of the working conditions of resident doctors, citing the victim's 36-hour duty shift and the lack of safe resting spaces.

Doctors are also demanding the implementation of the Central Protection Act, a bill aimed at protecting healthcare workers from violence. "There is a lack of proper infrastructure," said Akanksha Tyagi, a resident at Lady Hardinge Medical College in New Delhi, who participated in the protests. "After working for 24-36 hours at a stretch, there's no proper place for us to rest," she added.

Indian prime minister Narendra Modi condemned the attack and called for swift punishment for those responsible.

A team from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), India's premier investigative agency, is now handling the case after it was transferred from the Kolkata Police by the Calcutta High Court. Investigations have revealed that the wife of Sanjay Roy, the man accused of raping and murdering the doctor, had previously lodged a complaint at a police station, reported The Indian Express. In her complaint, she alleged that Roy had assaulted her.

India's health ministry has promised to form a committee to recommend measures for ensuring the safety of healthcare professionals. The committee will invite representatives from all stakeholders, including state governments, to contribute their suggestions, as reported by The Times of India.

Sexual violence against women remains a significant issue in India, with an average of nearly 90 rapes reported daily in 2022.

The brutal nature of this case has drawn comparisons to the 2012 gang rape and murder of a young woman on a Delhi bus, an incident that led to widespread protests and changes in the country's laws regarding sexual violence.

(With inputs from AFP)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less