Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Factory owner, manager arrested after New Delhi’s deadliest fire in 20 years

POLICE in New Delhi have arrested the owner and manager of a factory where 43 people died in the Indian capital's deadliest fire in 20 years, a spokesman said on Monday (9).

The blaze started early on Sunday (8) morning when more than a hundred workers were sleeping in the four-storey building located in a residential part of Delhi.


The factory, which made school bags, toys and stationery goods, was packed with combustible materials like paper, plastic and cardboard, causing it to burn for hours before being brought under control.

"We have arrested the owner and a manager of the factory where the fire broke out, and initiated an investigation which is going to be completed soon," Delhi police spokesman Mandeep Singh Randhawa said.

Most workers employed at the unit live in the factory itself, cooking meals there. The Indian Express quoted one of the victims who had telephoned a neighbour in his hometown in central India saying he was trapped and going to die soon and that he should take care of his family.

Fire engines had struggled to access the congested lane where the building was located, witnesses said.

About five people died due to burn injuries and the rest because of asphyxiation, said local resident Arjun Kumar.

"After unloading piles of raw materials from a truck that arrived late at night, most labourers had gone to bed barely a couple of hours before the fire broke out at about 4 am. They couldn't leave the building because of the lock which they couldn't open," said Kumar.

Frequent raids by civic authorities to enforce building codes, fire safety measures and evacuation procedures have failed to curb violations in the rapidly expanding city of about 20 million people.

Poor implementation of rules and lax regulations have repeatedly resulted in large fires in the sprawling city, and outside the main government district of New Delhi many tiny industrial units are situated very close to residential blocks.

Most of these units do not hire regular employees and rely on day workers who come to Delhi from some of the most underdeveloped and poverty-stricken states of India to eke out a living and send money home to support their families.

As most poor, underpaid workers cannot afford to rent houses, they often live in tiny, cramped rooms of their factories, making them vulnerable to industrial accidents.

Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal announced compensation of Rs 1 million for the families of those killed.

Most workers complained of government apathy.

"Politicians came to the site, made big announcements and left the scene, but no one tried to help the victims and their families who're facing difficulties in identifying and claiming the bodies of the workers who perished in the fire," said factory worker Rehan.

More fire engines were sent to the factory on Monday morning to douse a small fire caused by burning waste.

(Reuters)

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less