Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

FIFA expels Russia from Qatar World Cup

FIFA expels Russia from Qatar World Cup

RUSSIA has been expelled from the Qatar World Cup after being suspended from all international competitions "until further notice", FIFA and UEFA announced in a joint statement, while European football's governing body also ended its partnership with Russian energy giant Gazprom.

The men's team had been due to play in qualifying play-offs in March for the World Cup in Qatar later this year, while its women's side had qualified for the European Championship in England, to be held in July.


The announcement also affects Russian clubs involved in European competitions.

"FIFA and UEFA have today decided together that all Russian teams, whether national representative teams or club teams, shall be suspended from participation in both FIFA and UEFA competitions until further notice," read the joint statement from the governing bodies of world and European football.

FIFA Qatar World Cup 2022 FIFA Qatar World Cup 2022

The Russian men's team were scheduled to play Poland in a World Cup qualifying play-off semi-final on March 24, and might have faced Sweden or the Czech Republic on March 29 for a place at the finals in Qatar later this year.

But their three potential opponents insisted they would boycott the matches.

FIFA announced on Sunday (27) that Russian teams would be allowed to continue playing under the name of the Football Union of Russia, playing home games on neutral territory and behind closed doors, and with the Russian flag and anthem banned.

Qatar FIFA World Cup 2022 Qatar World Cup 2022

But those measures were dismissed as "totally unacceptable" by Polish FA president Cezary Kulesza, who added that Poland would not play their World Cup play-off with Russia, "no matter what the name of the team is."

FIFA changed its approach on Monday (28), kicking Russia out of the sport's showpiece tournament.

"Football is fully united here and in full solidarity with all the people affected in Ukraine," the statement added.

"Both presidents (Gianni Infantino and Aleksander Ceferin) hope that the situation in Ukraine will improve significantly and rapidly so that football can again be a vector for unity and peace amongst people."

Russia denounces suspension

The Russian Football Union denounced the suspension, saying the move was "discriminatory".

"It has an obvious discriminatory character and harms a huge number of athletes, coaches, employees of clubs and national teams, and most importantly, millions of Russian and foreign fans, whose interests international sports organisations must protect in the first place," it said in a statement.

The decisions come after a widespread outcry, with global players' union FIFPro on Monday releasing a statement saying it "strongly disagreed" with the initial measures taken by FIFA.

FIFPro criticised FIFA for not imposing stronger sanctions right away and said that participation of Russian teams in international competitions was now "not a possibility".

With other nations also coming out to say they would not play against Russia, FIFA and UEFA were left with little choice.

FIFA had to act quickly before the upcoming World Cup play-offs and with the draw for the tournament due to be held in Doha on April 1.

Russia were supposed to play the Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland in their group at the women's Euro in England in July.

Vladimir Putin. Vladimir Putin

"This is a powerful message from the international sporting community that we will not tolerate Putin's abhorrent assaults on freedom and liberty. Well done FIFA and UEFA," tweeted UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

UEFA ends Gazprom deal

Meanwhile, Spartak Moscow were scheduled to play RB Leipzig of Germany in the last 16 of the Europa League.

They were the only remaining Russian team in European competition this season.

"Even though we are of the opinion that sport fundamentally unites, we understand and support this decision," said Leipzig, who have received a bye into the quarter-finals.

FIFA, though, did not confirm if Poland would qualify directly for the final of their World Cup play-off path.

UEFA said it had ended its partnership with Gazprom, one of its main sponsors, "effective immediately".

Gazprom has been a key sponsor of UEFA since 2012 and was believed to have been paying around $45 million a year in a deal due to run until 2024.

Russian football federation president Alexander Dyukov, boss of Gazprom Neft, the petrol branch of Gazprom, is a member of the UEFA's executive committee.

German club Schalke also announced Monday it had prematurely ended its shirt sponsorship deal with Gazprom.

UEFA last week stripped the Russian city of Saint Petersburg of this season's Champions League final, moving the game on May 28 to Paris.

(AFP)

More For You

OpenAI Restricts ChatGPT’s Image Feature After Viral Ghibli Trend

Altman addressed the impact of the popular Ghibli-style image trend on OpenAI’s resources

Getty

OpenAI limits ChatGPT’s image generation feature amid viral Ghibli image trend

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman has announced temporary limitations on the company’s image generation feature in response to overwhelming demand driven by a viral trend. On Thursday, Altman addressed the impact of the popular Ghibli-style image trend on OpenAI’s resources, particularly its reliance on GPUs (graphics processing units). Altman revealed that the surge in demand for ChatGPT’s image generation tool has led to significant strain on the company’s infrastructure, prompting the introduction of temporary speed limits for users.

In a post on X (formerly Twitter), Altman shared the company’s response to the unexpected demand, stating, “It’s super fun seeing people love images in ChatGPT, but our GPUs are melting. We are going to temporarily introduce some rate limits while we work on making it more efficient. Hopefully won’t be long! ChatGPT free tier will get 3 generations per day soon.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Salman Rushdie to release first major work since stabbing
Rushdie was stabbed about 15 times: in the head, neck, torso and left hand, blinding his right eye and damaging his liver and intestines. (Photo: Getty Images)

Salman Rushdie to release first major work since stabbing

BRITISH-AMERICAN novelist Salman Rushdie will publish his first major work of fiction since the brutal stabbing that blinded him in one eye, his publisher said on Thursday (27).

The Eleventh Hour, is a collection of short stories examining themes and places of interest to Rushdie who narrowly escaped death during the 2022 attack. It will be released on November 4, 2025.

Keep ReadingShow less
Aamir Khan’s ‘Laapataa Ladies’ Audition Goes Viral – But He Lost the Role!

Dressed as a cop and chewing paan, Aamir Khan delivers his lines in the viral audition clip from Laapataa Ladies

Youtube Screengrab/Aamir Khan Talkies

Aamir Khan auditioned for ‘Laapataa Ladies’ but lost the role: Video goes viral!

Aamir Khan’s attempt to play a small-town cop in Kiran Rao’s Laapataa Ladies has sparked conversation among fans, thanks to a newly surfaced audition tape. The Bollywood star, who also produced the film, had initially hoped to take on the role of Sub-Inspector Shyam Manohar. However, director Kiran Rao ultimately chose Ravi Kishan for the part, a decision that many now agree was the right call.

The audition tape, shared on Aamir’s recently launched YouTube channel, Aamir Khan Talkies, shows the actor in a police uniform, chewing paan and trying out a rural accent. The video also includes bloopers, giving fans a insider view in to his efforts to embody the character. While Aamir is known for his dedication to roles, viewers were quick to point out that something felt off. Many felt his polished screen presence made him seem out of place as the rustic and rough-around-the-edges cop.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK-business-district-Getty
The Canary Wharf business district including global financial institutions in London. (Photo: Getty Images)

Economic growth in 2024 slightly higher than estimated: ONS

THE UK economy grew slightly more than first estimated in 2024, according to official data released on Friday, providing a small boost for the government after it revised down its growth forecast for 2025.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said gross domestic product expanded by 1.1 per cent in 2024, up from an initial estimate of 0.9 per cent.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hrithik Roshan to Helm ‘Krrish 4’ – A New Era for Bollywood’s Superhero

Hrithik Roshan gears up for his directorial debut with ‘Krrish 4,’ bringing fresh vision to India’s biggest superhero franchise

Getty Images

Hrithik Roshan to direct ‘Krrish 4’: Bollywood’s biggest superhero franchise gets a sequel

Hrithik Roshan is stepping into new territory by making his directorial debut with 'Krrish 4,' the next chapter in India's biggest superhero franchise. Known for his powerful performances, the actor will now take on the dual role of leading man and director for the much-anticipated sequel. The film will be co-produced by Yash Raj Films, led by Aditya Chopra, alongside Rakesh Roshan’s FilmKraft Productions.

The 'Krrish' series began in 2003 with 'Koi… Mil Gaya,' introducing audiences to the sci-fi story. The franchise took a superhero turn with 'Krrish' in 2006 and 'Krrish 3' in 2013, solidifying its place as India's premier superhero saga. Each instalment has brought together action, emotion, and visual spectacle, making the franchise a massive box-office success.

Keep ReadingShow less