Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Finsbury Park trial: Accused found guilty

A British man who was "obsessed" with Muslims was found guilty on Thursday (1) of murder and attempted murder after deliberately driving into a group of people outside a London mosque.

Jurors found Darren Osborne, 48, from the Welsh capital Cardiff, guilty of murdering 51-year-old Makram Ali and trying to kill others in the Finsbury Park area of north London on June 19, in a case that was prosecuted as an act of terrorism.


Osborne had claimed in court on Tuesday (30) a “guy called Dave” was to blame and

was driving the van.

He further stated the original target of the attack was Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who they planned to kill at an Islamic march they knew he would be attending.

Osborne added: “If Sadiq Khan would have been there it would have been even better, like winning the lottery”.

Osborne is accused of murdering Makram Ali, 51, and the attempted murder of other worshippers as they left a mosque in Finsbury Park, north London after late-night Ramadan prayers.

The father of four told the court he had also planned the attack with another man called Terry Jones. He alleged the three had originally planned to kill Rochdale Labour councillor Aftab Hussain, who he claimed had associations with a member of a grooming gang.

He told jurors: “We just wanted more casualties.”

In relation to the crime, Osborne said he recalled looking out of the window before the impact of the collision and it reminded him of “[children’s game] Hungry Hippos”.

Prosecutor Jonathan Rees QC claimed Terry Jones and Dave were fabricated so Osborne could deflect responsibility for the attack.

Last week, the court heard Osborne was motivated by deadly Islamist attacks in Britain and was obsessed with BBC drama Three Girls which told the story of Muslim men who targeted white girls.

It was also heard that two days before the attack, Osborne told a serving soldier in a pub in Cardiff: “I’m going to kill all the Muslims”, the jurors were told.

Osborne’s former partner Sarah Andrews also apparently described the father of four as a loner and a functioning alcoholic with an unpredictable temperament who took medication for depression.

In court, Rees read out a handwritten note found in the van with Osborne’s fingerprints on it.

It complained about “terrorists on our streets” and child sexual exploitation in Rotherham, a separate scandal not featured in the television drama.

“Don’t people get it? This is happening up and down our green and pleasant land,” Rees said, reading the note, which contained derogatory statements aimed at Muslims.

“Islam’s ideology doesn’t belong here and neither does sharia law.”

Rees told the jury Osborne seemed to feel that “insufficient was being said or done to counter terrorism and the grooming gangs.

“He planned to make a public statement by killing Muslims.”

Osborne is due to be sentenced at a later date.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less