Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Five accused in money laundering case plead not guilty

FIVE on trial have pleaded not guilty of running a money-laundering operation from a house in Belgrave.

The Lichfield Drive-based defendants are Chauhan Yogendrasinh, 55, director of the alleged money laundering business, Rushi Investments, and his wife Moushamiben Chauhan, 52.


Belgrave-based Bhavesh Suclo, 40, his wife Jignasha Jignasha, 56, and Pankashbai Deugi, 52, are the co-accused, all alleged employees of Yogendrasinh.

The accused were allegedly using a sham money transfer business to operate £11 million of criminal cash.

Money was regularly transferred to foreign lands fictitiously based on income from non-existent customers and fake invoices, according to the prosecution.

The unexplained cash also allegedly funded the purchase of property, luxury holidays, and other movable properties by the accused.

Michelle Heeley QC, prosecuting, informed the Leicester Crown Court: "The Prosecution cannot say from what criminal enterprise this money has come from, but we say the amount of money and the lengths that have been gone to hide it mean that it is criminal money that is being laundered.

"The company business involved, on the face of it, taking small sums of money and sending it abroad to other people,” Heeley said. “The case is about criminal money that was put through the records of businesses to make it look as if it was legitimate.”

Money has been transferred abroad to countries such as Hong Kong and India.

All the accused have pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to transfer illegal property between 2011 and 2016.

Yogendrasinh and Suclo also rejected claims of conspiracy to turn the criminal property in relation to the purchase of a property, at 62 Westbourne Street, Belgrave, Leicester.

The prosecution also highlighted the fact that in 24 months over £1.5m in cash went through Yogendrasinh's HSBC account.

"A lot of money was paid by Jignasha and by Moushamiben Chauhan – both trusted to handle cash in this operation," Heeley told.

The business was registered with Companies House. It had listed directors and provided accounts. It was also registered with the Financial Conduct Authority and HMRC.

The accused in the alleged sham money service also misused numerous genuine Money Service Bureaux (MSB) to transfer the bulk of the money to foreign land, the prosecution noted.

Moushamiben Chauhan was authorised to act on behalf of her illegal business with legitimate MSB, Choice Forex.

The dirty money operation sent over $8m through Choice Forex, which was collecting thousands of pounds a week from the allegedly dishonest business, the prosecution said.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less