Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Furious MPs demand answers as government plans to burn £4bn of unusable PPE

Figures showed that nearly £9bn of the government’s spending on PPEs was written off

Furious MPs demand answers as government plans to burn £4bn of unusable PPE

BRITISH Parliamentarians are unhappy over the plan to burn personal protective equipment (PPE) such as masks and gowns worth £4 billion, according to a report.

These were bought during the pandemic and will not be used by the NHS.


Now, MPs are demanding answers over the financial and environmental cost of plans to burn PPE, reported the Sky News.

According to the report, figures showed that nearly £9bn of the government's spending on PPE was written off, including products costing £4bn that did not meet health service standards.

An inquiry by the Commons public accounts committee heard that the department for health and social care (DHSC) plans to burn "significant volumes" of it to generate power.

In a report, MPs asked for the department to provide further details of the volumes of PPE being disposed of and the costs involved in storing and getting rid of it, as well as environmental impacts.

The MPs found that the government had approached 75 countries to try to offload the unusable equipment, with discussions ongoing with 11 of them. There are also plans to turn face visors into food trays and aprons into bin bags.

Two waste companies are to be appointed to dispose of 15,000 pallets a month of the kit via a combination of recycling and burning, the committee was told.

In the meantime the government is still spending £3.5m a week storing PPE, the MPs said.

The report took aim at the DHSC's "haphazard purchasing strategy", noting that 24 per cent of PPE contracts that were awarded were now in dispute.

Those included deals for products that were not fit for purpose and one arrangement to buy 3.5 billion gloves produced by a manufacturer facing modern slavery allegations.

Earlier this year, it emerged that police had raided homes and offices in London and the Isle of Man as part of a National Crime Agency investigation into the supply of PPE at the start of the pandemic.

Dame Meg Hillier, the Labour MP who chairs the public accounts committee, said that the story of PPE purchasing is perhaps the most shameful episode in the UK government response to the pandemic.

"At the start of the pandemic health service and social care staff were left to risk their own and their families' lives due to the lack of basic PPE. In a desperate bid to catch up, the government splurged huge amounts of money, paying obscenely inflated prices and payments to middlemen in a chaotic rush, during which they chucked out even the most cursory due diligence," she was quoted as saying by the Sky News. 

Labour's deputy leader Angela Rayner has alleged that ministers have been carelessly burning taxpayers' money by the billion as unusable gowns, goggles, and gloves literally go up in flames. 

According to Pat Cullen, chief executive of the Royal College of Nursing, large number of inadequate or wasteful PPE is a painful reminder of the worst of the pandemic.

"If this money had been used more wisely and decent quality PPE bought in the first place, then nurses' lives might have been saved," Cullen said.

In response to the select committee report, a DHSC spokesperson said that a number of claims in the report are misleading.

"In the face of an unpredictable and dangerous virus, we make no apology for procuring too much PPE rather than too little, and only 3 per cent of the PPE we procured was unusable in any context," the spokesperson added.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less