Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Gambhir succeeds Dravid as India cricket team head coach

Dravid ended his tenure after guiding India to the T20 World Cup last month and chose not to reapply for the position, which allowed Gambhir to step into the role.

Gambhir succeeds Dravid as India cricket team head coach

Former India opener Gautam Gambhir has been appointed as the head coach of the country's cricket team, taking over from his former teammate Rahul Dravid.

Dravid ended his tenure after guiding India to the T20 World Cup last month and chose not to reapply for the position, which allowed Gambhir to step into the role.


"It is an absolute honour to serve my tri-colour, my people, my country," Gambhir, 42, stated in an announcement by the Indian cricket board (BCCI) on Tuesday. He emphasised his pride in wearing the Indian jersey during his playing days and his intention to carry that pride into his new role.

Gambhir was a member of the India teams that won the T20 World Cup in 2007 and the 50-overs World Cup in 2011. He captained Kolkata Knight Riders to two Indian Premier League titles and secured a third IPL title with them as a mentor earlier this year.

A left-handed batter who represented India in 242 matches across formats, Gambhir will begin his coaching tenure with India's white-ball tour of Sri Lanka later this month.

Expectations are high as India, under Dravid, reached the finals of the World Test Championship and the 50-overs home World Cup last year.

"His appointment as head coach marks a new chapter for Indian cricket," said BCCI president Roger Binny. He highlighted Gambhir's experience, dedication, and vision for the game as qualities that make him the ideal candidate to lead the team. "We are confident that under his leadership, Team India will continue to excel and make the nation proud," Binny added.

(With inputs from Reuters)

More For You

London celebrates 100 million free school meals

Each child has been provided 435 free lunches over the past two school years

london.gov.uk

London marks 100 million free school, mayor calls it ‘proud’ moment

Highlights

  • 100 million free meals delivered to state primary school children in just over two years.
  • Each child offered 435 free lunches, saving families approximately £500 annually.
  • Schools now receive additional £11.5 m yearly from government for disadvantaged pupils.
London has reached a historic milestone of 100 m free school meals served to state primary school children, funded by mayor Sadiq Khan since September 2023.

The mayor joined schoolchildren in east London to celebrate the achievement, which has seen every child in the capital's state primary schools offered a free healthy meal each day. Each child has been provided 435 free lunches over the past two school years, saving families around £1,500 over three years per child.

Sadiq said "I'm absolutely delighted that 100 million meals have now been provided to children across London's state primary schools. I know from personal experience what a difference these meals make, so to be able to ensure that hundreds of thousands of children are receiving them across London every single day brings huge personal pride."

Keep ReadingShow less