Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

German chancellor Olaf Scholz to visit India on February 25, to meet PM Modi

The European leader will proceed to Bengaluru in the southern Indian state of Karnataka on February 26, India’s ministry of external affairs said.

German chancellor Olaf Scholz to visit India on February 25, to meet PM Modi

German chancellor Olaf Scholz is set to pay a state visit to India on February 25 and 26, his first trip to the country more than a year after he took charge of the top post in December 2021.

Announcing the German chancellor's visit, the Indian ministry of external affairs (MEA) said on Monday (20) that Scholz will be accompanied by senior officials and a high-powered business delegation.


He is scheduled to arrive in Delhi on February 25 and will proceed to Bengaluru in the southern Indian state of Karnataka the next day, the MEA said.

It also added that Indian prime minister Narendra Modi and chancellor Scholz will hold discussions on bilateral, regional and global issues.

"Chancellor Scholz's visit will enable both sides to take stock and progress on the key outcomes of the 6th IGC (Inter Governmental Consultations), strengthen security and defence cooperation, work towards closer economic ties, enhance opportunity for mobility of talent and give strategic guidance to ongoing collaboration in science and technology," the MEA said.

Modi and Scholz will also interact with CEOs and business leaders from both sides.

"This is the first standalone visit of a German chancellor to India since the biennial Inter-Governmental Consultation mechanism commenced in 2011, which is a whole-of-government framework under which ministers from both countries hold discussions in their respective areas of responsibility and report on the outcome of discussions to the prime minister and chancellor," the MEA said in a statement.

It said Scholz will be accorded a ceremonial welcome at the forecourt of the Rashtrapati Bhavan, the official residence of the Indian president.

He will also call on Indian president Droupadi Murmu.

Ahead of his visit to India, the German chancellor, at the Munich Security Conference, broadly echoed Indian external affairs minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar's comments made last year relating to the "European mindset".

"This quote from the Indian foreign minister is included in this year's Munich Security Report and he has a point," Scholz said. He said it would not be Europe's problem alone if the "law of the strong were to assert itself in international relations".

At an event in Slovakia in June last year, Jaishankar was severely critical of the "European mindset" and said Europe has to "grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems".

The external affairs minister had made the remarks while responding to a question on India's position on the ongoing war in Ukraine which Russia attacked nearly a year ago.

(PTI)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less